cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIVO Green Screen DVR Message

peterstep54
Tuning in

Hello

We have just had a green screen DVR message on our TIVO box.

Don't seem to be able to raise support to book a visit.  Can someone from the Form staff help us please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @peterstep54 

I'm afraid that's known as the green screen of death. It means your hard drive has failed and the box will need replacing.

VM have recently stopped issuing new Tivo boxes. They are being replaced with the newer V6 boxes, which are able to record 6 programs at once.  The V6 boxes also have the Amazon prime app and are able to display 4K content.  You do need to have broadband with VM to be able to have a V6 box though.

You should call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 (Faults

When calling Faults you will hear the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc

Ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and book the tech for you.

Or wait a day or two and a member of the Forum Team should pick this up for you and arrange a tech visit.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @peterstep54 

I'm afraid that's known as the green screen of death. It means your hard drive has failed and the box will need replacing.

VM have recently stopped issuing new Tivo boxes. They are being replaced with the newer V6 boxes, which are able to record 6 programs at once.  The V6 boxes also have the Amazon prime app and are able to display 4K content.  You do need to have broadband with VM to be able to have a V6 box though.

You should call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 (Faults

When calling Faults you will hear the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc

Ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and book the tech for you.

Or wait a day or two and a member of the Forum Team should pick this up for you and arrange a tech visit.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks Dave

Yeah, so we rang VM and got an American lady who insisted that it was the HDMI cable.  The box did come back on eventually, but u snow struggling to play back recorded content.  So I guess we will try and call again today and try to get a new box.  Bit frustrating given the amount we all pay these days.

Really appreciate your kind advice though.

Thanks, Peter 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Peter,

I've spoken to a few agents with American accents, they tend to be based in the Philippines, although I'm not sure if VM have any agents operating from there.

You defintely do need your box swapping out.

It's not very often the boxes recover from the green screen of death, and it's inevitable that following the "recovery" that the box will break down again, probably sooner rather than later.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Thanks - hopefully someone from the forum team can arrange that🤞

Hi peterstep54, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you were having an issue with your TiVo box. As mentioned by newapollo, when you get the green screen, it usually does mean the end. 

I can see that you've had an engineer since posting and they've replaced the box for you. Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Many thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs