cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming services buffering

Nicken61
Joining in

A couple of months ago there was a large outage in our area and we lost TV for a few days. Since then our service has been really patchy, the main problem is that iPlayer and other on demand services are constantly buffering. The engineer came out 2 days ago and I thought it was fixed but it is worse than ever. I am at a loss as to what to do now. Any help at all would be appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have a TiVo, it has an inbuilt internet connection separate from your home broadband. All the services you've mentioned use the internet, so a good first check is whether the box's net connection is still working.

On the front-left of your TiVo, look for the green LED under the heartbeat symbol - does this flash when you're having streaming problems?

As an aside, if you're having problems using iPlayer, are you able to record your programmes instead?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Nicken61, and a very warm welcome to you!

We're terribly sorry to hear of the TV issues, if you're able to answer the questions posted by @japitts, that would be helpful, and if you possibly advise me if you're using an Ethernet cable to connect to the broadband services, or if this is over Wi-Fi, that would also be somewhat handy

Kindest regards.

David_Bn

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@David_Bn wrote:
and if you possibly advise me if you're using an Ethernet cable to connect to the broadband services, or if this is over Wi-Fi, that would also be somewhat handy

....although this question doesn't apply to a TiVo, which 1: Doesn't have WiFi, and 2: Has its own inbuilt net connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Nicken61
Joining in

Thank you for your help in this matter. I have a TiVo box which is attached to the hub with an Ethernet cable. I have been sent a new cable by Virgin and I will replace that later. I don’t know if it is likely to make a difference? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Ethernet cable on a TiVo is only for multiroom streaming and doesn't provide an internet connection.

Please refer to my post-2 above and check the green lights.

Thanks for coming back to us @Nicken61.

Have you been able to follow the instructions from @japitts?

This will hopefully help fix your issues or let us know where the issues lie.

Also, have you now installed the new cable to see if that has helped the situation at all?

Regards,

Steven_L