Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Stalling / Pixellation / Breaking UP

Hi,

My elderly TiVo has developed an issue recently. When playing back a recording, the picture stalls, pixellates and breaks up for about 60 seconds after about 5 minutes. It sometimes does the same thing, but nearer the end of the recording. It has been doing it for about 3 months, we just live with it at the moment.

I have a suspicion it may be related to when another recording starts or stops. I've tried resetting the TiVo and even pulling the power for ten minutes. I've also remade all the cable connections … no improvement.

Does anyone know of anything else to try or if there is any information / status screen I can look at to make sure the box and signal are healthy. There are too many recordings still to watch to consider a replacement TiVo at the moment.

TiVo 1TB with Full House | BT Halo 🙂 | Retired former IT Professional 🙂 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stalling / Pixellation / Breaking UP

Hi Leyland, thanks for getting in touch. 

Checking things from our end it's clear that the box isn't functioning correctly. If you're sure that all of the connections are OK then in all likelihood it will require further attention.

I'll send a PM shortly to confirm a few details & we'll take it from there.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you have back-to-back recordings on the same channel, these will use the same tuner. If you have padding set to before & after programs, then in that overlap period where the first recording is finishing but the second has already been running for a few minutes, the box has to stitch the various bits of video into different files - this can sometimes cause a momentary picture blip. BUT... your symptoms sound a little too extreme to be fair.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us Leyland. I've confirmed the details of the tech-visit by PM. Please keep us posted with the outcome of that if you can, or let us know if there's anything else in the meantime.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We had a visit from the engineer on Monday morning. Signal checked, cabling checked and a redundant splitter and cabling for a second box we don't have removed. None of this seems to have resolved our problem, although I still want to give it a few days. The only option now is to replace the TiVo, but it's a 1TB box and Virgin don't have these available and we're not happy about dropping down to a 512GB box.

Looks like we are going to have to think long and hard about either switching to a V6 (which requires Virgin broadband and I already have an excellent BT service) or a combination of a Freeview recorder and NowTV. We can't have Sky because of trees in neighbouring properties, so options are a bit limited at the moment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for popping back with the update Leyland. I'm sorry to hear the issue remains present.

I'm slightly confused though, as it's our understanding here that 512MB boxes are the ones that are unavailable, we only do the 1TB boxes now. 

We can either look into a replacement 1TB box - or I can arrange for a senior technician to attend as it would be the 2nd visit for the same issue within 30 days. 

Just let me know how you'd like to proceed. 

Tom 

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tom,

He was adamant - after talking to a supervisor on the phone - that he could only replace our 1TB with a 512GB box! If you can arrange for a replacement 1TB TiVo, then we would like to do that. I'm happy to swap them over and return the current box. After that, if we still have a problem we would need someone to come out.

So, if there are 1TB TiVos available we don't have too much recorded at the moment so now would be a really good time for a swap.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for the further confusion - but I've just double-checked and despite what we thought here, the tech was correct - there's no longer an option for a 1TB Samsung TiVo - only 512mb.

I'm trying to get clarification on why this might be, and if it's possible to source a 1TB TiVo replacement at all, as I appreciate that a 512GB box would be a downgrade, and upgrading to a V6 isn't an option on your current package. 

I've sent some emails and will get back to you as soon as I can with an update - by Monday at the latest - so we know what our options are, sorry I can't do more than that for the time-being.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Leyland. I've sent a PM regarding the replacement TiVo. I'm unsure what caused the confusion at this stage, possibly there was an issue with ordering 1TB boxes that wasn't communicated, but they are still available and one is on it's way to you now. Please keep us posted with how you get on with it, or let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Tom