Menu
zeefour
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sound intermittently cuts out

This has gone on for years randomly. It seems to sort itself but has come back with a vengeance recently...

Issue is the sound just cuts out when watching TV on Virgin. There are no issues with the internal digital TV sound or other sound into the TV. It happens on various TVs. Multiple HDMI leads (quality ones) ranging from 1.3 to 2.0 etc have made no difference. We have even had the TV looked at by Samsung engineers. Regaining sound only happens from one of: either forward / rewinding briefly; changing channels up/down; changing channels by typing in a channel number; switching to internal digital TV and back; putting Tivo on standby and back on; unplugging Tivo and back on.

I have also recently had this issue on a V6 box in the house upstairs with a new LG TV (again with no other sound issues whatsoever). Strange and it's never really been resolved, so any ideas welcome! Thanks!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sound intermittently cuts out

@zeefour wrote:

This has gone on for years randomly. It seems to sort itself but has come back with a vengeance recently...

Issue is the sound just cuts out when watching TV on Virgin.

Is this on live (linear) TV? Or OnDemand? How about streaming (YouTube, iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon etc)?

Presumably your TiVo is connected directly to your TV using HDMI with nothing else in-between?

And when you say the sound cuts out, does it come back?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
virbob1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried changing the Tivo sound output from Dolby Digital to PCM? That fixed my sound problems with an LG TV.

0 Kudos
zeefour
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the delay replying to both who've offered advice (thank you!) I didn't get the emails sent due to having to reformat my hard drive! So, to answer the helpful questions...

The issue occurs on live TV. It tends not to happen on streaming or OnDemand.

Box is connected directly with an HDMI lead with nothing in between.

The sound cuts out but doesn't always come back until the box is unplugged and then re-booted. I've found that a quick forward or rewind often sorts it (but not always) or changing channel up and down (but not always).

I've tried the change from Dolby / PCM on both boxes before and this also doesn't bring the sound back unfortunately!

Interestingly this didn't happen once on an old Panasonic TV, or a slightly less 'old' Samsung TV. I have used the slightly less old Samsung to test the boxes when they cut out and that TV never has a sound issue. Only the two newer TVs.

Has been doing this today regularly when changing between two channels (Sky Sports, but could be any channel!)

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Morning @

zeefour

Thanks for popping back over the weekend - sorry that you're still having these sound issue. 

I have located your account from your forum information and can see that it's been around 10 days since the TiVo box was rebooted. All signal are looking ok as are the tuners for this box. 

In regard to the V6 box, I'm not getting a connection to this box; is it switched on and currently working? 

Please do advise which box you are currently having issues with and we can take a closer look for you. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos