Menu
mumblesh
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sound cutting out on terrestrial

Lately there has been maintenance in my area, since which my sound occasionally cuts out. It's not often, maybe once every 5 plus minutes, so far on BBC 1, 2 or channel 4. But when the sound cuts out during conversation it's really annoying. Not the first time this has happened either. I need Virgin to start justifying it's pay rises it keeps inflicting.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sound cutting out on terrestrial

Is this on the SD or HD channels? All the channels you've mentioned have both..

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mumblesh
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've watched an SD channel and not noticed it. But not watched them all. Seems like it is primarily the HD channels. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How do you get your TV sound - is it using HDMI, optical via some A/V kit?

Are your audio settings using Dolby or PCM? Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Audio

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
mumblesh
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies, sorry I'm late getting back.

I use optical out via TV, to an optical switcher connected to my speaker decoder. It's been like this for years. Obviously it's a good call, cos it's not a usual setup and has many parts. But my TV's Netflix app never gives me issue, just the TiVo. This issue has happened on an off over the years for a long time.

I'll turn thing on andquantitative easing, off, have a fiddle with cables and get back if I have anything exciting or useful to tell.

0 Kudos
mumblesh
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So the sound keeps cutting out every once in a while, usually on HD channels it seems. Sometimes it's clear the picture is affected as well, as it breaks up slightly. It's annoying to say the least when it is mid sentence. This is a common thing with Virgin TV as far as I am concerned. Luckily I don't watch much live TV, but this is ridiculous. I've had people out in the past and they fiddle with the box and adjust some setting saying strength is too high or something like that.

I know it's not to do with my optical sound connection. The picture sometimes breaking up is a clue to that and it happens via recorded TV or when the sound is switched to the TV speakers.

Annoying as ever.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Potentially a signal issue - pixellation is usually (although not always) caused by that.

It would be useful if you can...

1: Eliminate OD & streaming as unaffected (these use the internet not the TV coax)

2: Identify whether any specific channels are affected. TV channels are carried over VM's network in groups (known as multiplexes) that don't often bear any resemblance to their EPG positions.

0 Kudos
mumblesh
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Right I am back again! I am thinking of sacking Virgin as my TV provider now, as I am struggling to justify it these days. But that aside. BBC HD is a pain in the arse right now, it cuts out the sound (and sometimes with noticeable pixelation) and it does so at least a few times every 30 mins, which is very annoying mid conversations. It doesn't seem to happen on ITV HD, and I haven't noticed it on the very few SD/+1 channels that I sometimes watch. I've checked if it was due to my sound connection, by switching to TV speaker, still there... and replaced my HDMI, still there. It's not an issue that occurs with streaming apps, so it's definitely the TV signal in my mind.

Point being, it is odd that BBC HD is worse affected by this, and this isn't a new thing either. But I watch so little live TV that it's not a big issue. Back to Freeview I think. Thanks for all the advice here. If anyone else has Issue with BBC HD I hope they get it resolved.

0 Kudos
Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi mumblesh,

Thanks for getting in touch, and a very warm welcome back to the Community Forum! I'm sorry that you've had this issue with your Television services.

I'd like to take a closer look at this for you. I'll just need to confirm some details with you via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos