cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound but no picture

PernilleR
Joining in

We have sound but no picture - either live or from recordings - our Tivo is pretty old (more than 10 years old?) not a V6 or 360. There's nothing wrong with the TV screen - can show NowTV channels. Doesn't seem to be the HDMI cable either as we swapped with the NowTV cable and it was the same problem. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @PernilleR 

You could try the following which should force the V6 screen to reset and therefore should also hopefully work on the Tivo and display in the basic  576p resolution.

Hopefully this will allow you to go into the tivo settings and change the video output again.

Using your remote control press Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, 4, 8, 0, Clear

Fingers crossed you should now be able to see the screen again, if so then using your remote

1. Press Home  > Help & Settings >  Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format

Either go to Auto detect to run a test of your TV’s display options. It will then ask you to confirm the new display selection  or choose  Test Formats to run a quick test on the Virgin TV V6 box and follow the onscreen guides

If that fails you may need a replacment box. Faulty Tivo's are now being swapped out for V6 boxes providing you also have broadband via VM.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @PernilleR 

You could try the following which should force the V6 screen to reset and therefore should also hopefully work on the Tivo and display in the basic  576p resolution.

Hopefully this will allow you to go into the tivo settings and change the video output again.

Using your remote control press Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, 4, 8, 0, Clear

Fingers crossed you should now be able to see the screen again, if so then using your remote

1. Press Home  > Help & Settings >  Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format

Either go to Auto detect to run a test of your TV’s display options. It will then ask you to confirm the new display selection  or choose  Test Formats to run a quick test on the Virgin TV V6 box and follow the onscreen guides

If that fails you may need a replacment box. Faulty Tivo's are now being swapped out for V6 boxes providing you also have broadband via VM.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you. Although doing the thumbs up down 480 thing didn't bring the picture back, running through and testing all the video output  options and auto formatting a few times seems to have worked. We now have a picture. Still think we might need a new box though.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is often caused by an HDMI handshake issue - checking whether you can view the menu system & EPG, and whether you have a working video preview, is a good test

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PernilleR,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your TV services at the moment! 

Glad to hear that your image came back, but we understand that this could be an ongoing issue.

Have you rebooted your TV box to see if this can help with your image issue? Has the issue returned since you've been able to resolve the problem?

Please let us know and we'll be more than happy to look into this further for you and see what we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I had the same problem today, and followed @newapollo 's useful advice which sadly didn't work for me. What did was unplugging my Fire stick from my Samsung TV,  powering the V6 box back on, and it all works fine again. I've since plugged the Fire stick back in and they're both back working as normal. I don't know why this works, but thought I'd leave this here in case it helps someone with a similar problem.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, ThePinkster.
Thank you so much for your post and for contributing to this forum thread, although we're sorry to hear you have also experienced the above problem.

Glad to know it's been resolved by simply unplugging your firestick and rebooting your TV box, it's nice to have this info posted here for all our community to view and test. 🙂

We do hope it all goes well from here with your TV box and service.
If you need more help or advice, we'll be happy to offer it so pop back here and let us know.
Best regards,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

We’ve just had this issue, with sound but no picture. Tried the reset but made no difference, so tried this and it worked! So thank you so much