Menu
JT46
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Some services unavailable

We have just updated our TIVO box and replaced an old one in the bedroom with the one from downstairs.  The TV is a very old LG which worked absolutely fine before.  There is only one HDMI port on the TV.  We can get all the programmes as before but not extra services like catch up etc.  When you try to go into the settings it gets stuck and says the ethernet link is loose.  It isn’t.  
Don’t want to try wireless connection as this might interfere with the main ethernet linked connection on the main TV which is fine.  
Any ideas please?  

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Some services unavailable

Could be problem with the Ethernet cable connected to the box, try another if you have one available.

Wireless won't interfere with ethernet

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
JT46
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  It is the same cable that worked with the old box except that it now has a little extra connector cable supplied by Virgin so that it connects to the new box as the fittings are different.  It is a very tight fit into the socket on the wall so I don’t want to disturb it by taking it out.  If it is the ethernet that is the problem why can I get all the channels?  

I a, beginning to wish I had left it as it is!

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I do believe you may be confusing the COAX connection with Ethernet.

In the picture below could you advise me if there is a cable connector in the yellow port I've added a red circle around please.

Virgin TV EthernetVirgin TV Ethernet

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Let's clarify which boxes you're using...

I'm guessing 1 x TiVo & 1 x V6? Check here if you're not sure.

TiVo needs the single coax connection which carries TV & internet/.

V6 gets TV over the coax, and internet (for OnDemand, streaming & EPG updates) via WiFi or Ethernet to your homehub. If you use Ethernet, that overrides WiFi

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

cheers, was gonna go nice and slow but....... 😐

0 Kudos
JT46
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We have two V6 boxes. The old one is a TIVO. Sorry to have misled you.
0 Kudos
JT46
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ah. Yes, there is. I tried to add an ethernet cable to that as well as the coax but there doesn’t seem to be a port on the TV to fit the other end in. So how could it have worked before?
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The other end of the Ethernet needs to connect to your broadband hub, if the hub is too far away then you connect to it using wireless like other devices.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So unplugging the Ethernet cable from a V6 will enable a WiFi connection.

Is the error message "Ethernet cable loose" or something else, possibly "Ethernet cable unplugged"? 😉

Is the cable connected to both the V6 and router, securely? And proven as working with another Ethernet device?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos