Menu
FrankieBeee
Dialled in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Smart tv & tivo channels

I am about to delve into a new world (for me anyway) and buy a new smart TV (probably Samsung) as my old one is dying (colours are all over the place as I have turquoise faces and yellow skies in most pictures).

I have the old TV box (not V6 or 360) and wanted to know if I just change over the cables and do any other set up will I lose the recordings I already have (as I still wanted to watch them). I guess the idea I want is it to work alongside the smart tv. Or, do I try to watch as much of the stuff I can over Christmas before I go into my unknown

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smart tv & tivo channels

Changing your TV won't affect the TiVo box at all, although one thing you may find though is that new TVs only have HDMI, so if you're using SCART on your old TV you will have to change the connection type.

But apart from that the only difference between a Smart and 'dumb' TV is that apps like BBC iPlayer or Netflix are built into the TV.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
FrankieBeee
Dialled in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you much appreciated
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi it seems a shame you are getting a nice new smart TV, it would be nice to get a newer V6 or 360 to take advantage of better quality images, of course it would require having virgins broadband. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
FrankieBeee
Dialled in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Mind you that would mean virgin being benevolent wouldn't it to give me a new box as they tend to wait until yours is broken for them to replace it

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

VM will replace any faulty kit anytime the user reports it.

As far as proactive swaps of non-faulty kit is concerned, contract renegotiations are often a good time to do this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
FrankieBeee
Dialled in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

They tend to replace like for like in my case when I complained re my wifi but yes good idea re other stuff at negotiation time

0 Kudos
Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi @FrankieBeee 

Welcome to the wonderful world of HD where the skies are blue and the faces are not ... unless you're watching Avatar.

It's exactly how @BenMcr has explained. If you're using a SCART cable to connect the set top box to your TV you'll need to get a HDMI cable as smart TV's don't have SCART ports.

No recordings will be harmed with the installing of your new TV set as they are safely stored on our set top box and not on your TV.

With V6/360 set top boxes you can definitely negotiate an upgrade when you agree a new contract with us. Any issues with your TIVO let us know and we'll be more than happy to help.  

Thank you @BenMcr & @japitts for assisting! 🙂

Carley - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi FrankieBeee,

For broken or damage Tv boxes these would be like for like. 

But as japitts has advised, if you speak with our Retention's team via 150/0345 454 1111 they can take a look over your package. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
FrankieBeee
Dialled in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Mind you as I discovered your broadband needs to work well too to keep all areas of smart tv working. I can use my antennae and virgin tv but nothing else today and am not the only one as I frequently get texts from friends in local area to ask if my virgin wifi is working plus on local facebook forums people are always asking the same thing. It dips out all the time and screws my paid work up as even minute dips out means work I just did wasn’t saved (have had to put in an extra check on it now which means I don’t get paid for extra work time done either). But back to my smart TV its great, I got an LG one but as I said I can’t use the smart bit at moment as virgin either too slow or dipping out so much. Ho hum

0 Kudos