Menu
Funkit
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports on Virgin Media

Hey Guys, I’m hoping someone can help me on my problem.

I currently get the Sky Sports channels in SD, so I know the picture is not going to be the best available, but surely it has got to be better than it is at the moment? 

I have a Panasonic 50inch TV around four years old so a good TV even today but I’m disappointed with all the channels.   The only channel which is better than the rest is, Sky Main Event, which is slightly sharper on my TiVo box so it’s a bit perplexing to be honest. 

I would like HD but just can’t afford it right now. 

Thanks in Advance of any replies.👍

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports on Virgin Media

SD will be terrible on a 50", this is normal 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HD channels are line fed from Sky to Virgin. The SD versions are sourced from the Astra satellites via the same route as Sky dish owners use, & it has been noted that bitrates for the SD channels have been slowly reduced over time.

In short, there is not a lot you can do, as the vast majority of customers are now using HD & Sky have no incentive to improve the situation.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Funkit
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.
     Yes I’m in agreement with you regarding the size of the panel will make a difference to the picture, but the picture resolution on Main Event is definitely better than on Sky Premier League channel.

By the way, there is an incentive for Sky to reduce bitrates, it’s called sucking more money from customers. Virgin are not responsible for what Sky do but then again my contract is with VM.. 

Anyhow, thanks again for your help..😎👍

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Funkit wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
     Yes I’m in agreement with you regarding the size of the panel will make a difference to the picture, but the picture resolution on Main Event is definitely better than on Sky Premier League channel.

Interestingly, there's actually not much difference in the bitrate between channels 511 & 512.

Both have the exact same average bitrate, but PL-SD has a fractionally higher peak bitrate. 5.6Mb/s rather than 5.3Mb/s for Main Event

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Funkit
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not going to question bitrates with more knowledgeable guys on here, just seems strange ME is better than PL on my TV, and even my Wife has noticed the difference. 
   I’ll have to get HD I suppose like BT Sport which is superb picture quality. 👍

0 Kudos