cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up old Tivo box via ethernet in another room

Carl1997
Joining in

We have a v6 box connected via cable in the front room.  We have an old Tivo box I would like to use in another room via an ethernet connection to virgin hub.  However, when connected and switched on I cannot get past Connection Error 7001 which seems to be looking for a cable connection.  The ethernet signal is fine (supports gaming on XBox X).  How can I make the Tivo box use the ethernet instead of look for the cable?

7 REPLIES 7

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Carl1997,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you're having some trouble setting up a second TV box in another room. Do you have multi-room included in your bundle currently or do you only currently pay for the V6 box in the front room? If it's the latter then that would explain why the other box won't connect to the network.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All VM TV boxes must have a coax cable connection. Ethernet cabled alone is no good, but they do need an Ethernet or WiFi connection as well as the coax.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To add, legacy TiVo's have an in-built Internet connection and don't use Ethernet - which is for multi-room streaming purposes.

It is the newer V6 (running TiVo-software) which uses your VM home broadband (via Ethernet or wireless) for internet-based services, but still equally needs a co-ax connection for live TV.

Equally using multiple TV boxes requires a multi-room subscription where all separate TiVo or V6 are activated for use in their own right.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks that's really helpful

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"but still equally needs a co-ax connection for live TV." very true, but actually you need a co-ax connection to even turn on the box, otherwise you just get an error code.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And if you have been given a V6 as a replacement, that will knock your old box off the system. So if you did connect it, with the box no longer on your account you will get an authorisation error & any recordings on it will be locked & inaccessible.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I suspect that the V6 was a replacement for the TiVo, in which case the TiVo is useless and not wanted back by VM.

If you want a second box you'll have to pay for multiroom to get a second V6.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection