Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Samsung Tivo box catch up TV

H have an aging Samsung Tivo box over the last few weeks I am unable to get programmes from BBC IPlayer and All4. Very slow access and then sound drops out making it unwatchable. Internet is not a problem as I switch to my smart TV on WIFI and both run without problems. Is the Tivo box out of spec?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Samsung Tivo box catch up TV

Firstly do you definitely have a TiVo and not a V6? You've mentioned Samsung which suggests you do, but let's be sure for reasons that will become clear... check here 

The TiVo box doesn't have the All-4 app, so I presume you're following a shortcut somewhere that's labelled as "All-4" or "More 4" (name not important!!) and it's just loading a standard OnDemand (VOD) programme. I'll assume this is the case..

Second point - the TiVo doesn't use your home internet but has its own dedicated connection entirely separate to your homehub & WiFI - and many issues with TiVO VOD are caused by this connection failing. I suspect this is your underlying problem.

On the front-left of the box are a series of green lights - are any flashing in normal use? Or are any flashing when you have VOD problems? I could hazard a guess that the second-from-left is doing a pretty on/off dance?

Thirdly, the TiVo - while being perfectly servicable - is a fundamentally old box that does struggle with the streaming apps, there's no getting around that. The newer V6 box handles them so much quicker, and has the ITV, C4, C5 & Amazon Prime apps that aren't available on the TiVo. If you have VM broadband, and use streaming apps a lot, I would strongly recommend you consider a swapout to a V6 box - this may come as part & parcel of a new, possibly more cost-effective, package renegotiation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Many thanks for the reply.

Yes it is a Tivo with a direct broadband feed which i believe is all in tact.

I agree that it is a software issue somewhere as I am selecting from the Tivo menu.

I also have a problem with an older Samsung smart TV that no longer supports Iplayer.

My feeling is it is a software issue that Virginmedia should address but was just looking for other examples before i waste my life trying to get through on the phone and rebooting pressing buttons waiting 5 mins etc etc?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok let's cover some basics here... Firstly the TiVo doesn't have the Channel 4 app, so can you explain exactly what you're doing, to find this? That may help us advise further.

@jp24 wrote:

Yes it is a Tivo with a direct broadband feed which i believe is all in tact.

On the front-left of the box, there's a series of green lights, second-from-left indicates your "online" status, does it ever flash or is it solidly on? Also if you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, your connection status is in the top-right - does everything look good here?

@jp24 wrote:

I also have a problem with an older Samsung smart TV that no longer supports Iplayer.

That's an issue with your Samsung TV, nothing to do with Virgin.

@jp24 wrote:

My feeling is it is a software issue that Virginmedia should address but was just looking for other examples before i waste my life trying to get through on the phone and rebooting pressing buttons waiting 5 mins etc etc?

The TiVo is fundamentally an old box whose hardware struggles with the streaming apps, there's no way around that. But many issues are caused by the internet connection dropping, which is easy to identify as above.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply

The point I was trying to make re Samsung TV is that Samsung hardware has issues with firmware updates for the latest Iplayer app. Therefore could the Tivo Samsung box have the same problem. I am assuming the Iplayer App is run from the Tivo box and not the host?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the iPlayer app is run from the TiVo box but like I said...

1: The TiVo is fundamentally an old box and you can only tweak things so much before the hardware limitations become an issue. It has long since been superceded by the V6.

2: Many of the problems on the TiVo are caused by the inbuilt internet dropping. I've explained how to check this quickly & easily.

0 Kudos