Menu
Domwilko
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

STB Update At 18:30 On A Bank Holiday? Really?

Which bright spark in Liberty Global decided it would be a good idea to push a STB update at 18:30 on a Bank Holiday to celebrate VE day? What were they thinking? So far 40 Minutes of interrupted viewing due to the Tivo box deciding to do an update.

Makes me embarrassed to work for VM if this is what we do to our customers. Way to go LG!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: STB Update At 18:30 On A Bank Holiday? Really?

if it was a planned update we would be seeing 1000's of complaints. This is the only one I've seen.
Domwilko
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So an unplanned upgrade? That's even worse. The STB just went in to an upgrade screen, so are you saying this is an uncontrolled change?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How would we know? We don't work for VM. You do and presumably you have the contacts to find out. The VM Forum Team are now on their bank holiday and weekend break - like you presumably? The responders on this Forum are usually VM users not staff (and its a bank holiday). That is why it is a Community Forum. My TiVO hasn't done this. I've just checked.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Domwilko
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don't work for the team responsible for STB upgrades. However, the STB upgrades are 'pushed' to the boxes, so someone, somewhere, must have scheduled the upgrade to my box. These should be done under controlled changes and presumably not at 18:30 on a Bank Holiday. I'd like to understand how this has happened so that I can feedback to the relevant team within the business. Just to prove that I'm not making it up, I took a couple of screen shots. The whole process took 45 minutes, which isn't great as I missed a program which I wanted to watch.STB Installing.jpgSTB Upgrade.jpg

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well coming to the Forum just puts another loop in a complex situation. On Monday all the VM Forum Team here will do is try their best to find out who is responsible, unless this was just a freak event; and then pass it on. Why don't you wait till Monday and go direct to the team yourself and find out what happened. Or are VM such a siloed organisation that you can't or don't feel able to do that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That looks like a freeview update to me 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi yes the clue is the word "digital" . I think the OP should be contacting JVC as if as apcyberax has said if it was virgin all hell would have broken out. Regards Micky 

0 Kudos
Spencer_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That is not a freeview update, that is the initial setup screen on a TiVo before it goes into Installation. 

There have been no updates planned for the time, my guess is it is the box. That has just re-installed itself for some unknown reason. 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

Just send your query to 07533051809 and we'll text you back.

We're open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!
Domwilko
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's not a Freeview update as the TV is an analogue TV and doesn't have Freeview capability. The update was definitely the Tivo box which just went in to upgrade mode with not warning. It may have re-initialized for some reason, but there was no known reason for it to do that. The Tivo had been working fine and then just went in to update mode, which is why I assumed that it had been a pushed update.