Menu
tsrplatelayer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

SKY ONE VOD keeps dropping

TIVO (not V6) ethernet connected betwen TIVO and Asus Router, Virgin router in modem mode..

Watching VOD - the box shoes'included in your package'.

I can watch a show but at random intervals, anything from 30secs to 20mins, the error message'this show is no longer available' appears.

After this the network green light flashes, but stabilises after a few minutes. Occasionally at this point I get signal on this channel (usually 101 - BBC) is poor Try rebooting. - which does no good. It restores finctioanlity but then soon as I try VOD again - replay from last position - it starts and then ata random time.... etc.

My home network is on 10.0.0.x IP addresses, I get 'address conflict errors  butthey aren't addresses there is no conflict on my home network. I note that the cable network also uses 10.x.x.x IP adresses. I trried changing to 172.16.x.x privat network addresses internally - but TIVO will not accept these addresses. I tried changing to 192,168.x.x (had to change 25 devices on my network - what a job) - still the same VOD is unstable.

So I tried using VOD on DAVE channel - its just the same - unstable.

Allan

I have tried changing:

Ethernet Cable, port on Router,

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SKY ONE VOD keeps dropping

On the original TiVo, the Ethernet cable is only used for enabling multiroom streaming via your homehub, it is not used for any other internet activity (VOD included). This is different to the V6.

Your TiVo's internet connection is carried over the same co-ax line that carries your TV signals, but is split out within the TiVo and its status indicated by the online light.

If you've seen the online light flashing, there's your fault. Whether the issue is outside your home in the wider VM network (unlikely) or internally within your TiVo box (far more likely) is largely irrelevant - there's still a fault here. The same VOD platform delivers all programmes regardless of channel or broadcaster - the only difference is that streaming services use the same internet connection but "land" in your box via an app.

You need to call VM on the usual 150/0345 4541111 number and speak to a faults agent. I'd recommend being specific about your "online light is flashing" - the only two sensible outcomes from this would be a box replacement or engineer visit.

I'd also think seriously about trying to swap your TiVo for a V6. You've got VM home broadband and have your STB connected by Ethernet anyway, so all the right boxes are ticked. Whether you do this via the "changing my package" route, or by asking faults very nicely (and hoping they say yes) for a swap.. that's another debate. But it's a debate I recommend you have 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tsrplatelayer
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SKY ONE VOD keeps dropping

Thanks - I'll do that
0 Kudos