Menu
RMWC
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Removal of France 24 HD

It seems extremely mean of Virgin Media to be suddenly removing France 24 HD (the French news channel in French) from our package (Mix) at this particular crisis time. We watch it a great deal. There was a little warning and why is it being removed at all? No explanation.  Please could anyone tell me why this is happening - and more importantly, why do something like that now? We're discouraged from getting in touch by phone, so there is no other way for me to find out the motivation behind this apparently unkind, unnecessary move. 

0 Kudos
C_Butcher86
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Removal of France 24 HD

Hi,

Try channel 624

Thanks Chris

To PM just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
RMWC
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, yes, that is the channel in English and if you press the red button you can reach the website in French. We like to listen in French and I can't get a full screen of the main news screen of the website. Is there a way to do this from 624? 

0 Kudos
GmrtechMS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Good morning.

I am a VM tech working from home and maybe able to help with your question. 

Its seems the chanel you are refering to is one of many chanels that will no longer be available in the UK. These changes have been implemented via OFCOM and not a desision made by VM. 

I understand the timing of this under the current situation is less then ideal but changes were planned prior to the current covid19 outbreak.

Hope this info proves useful.  

0 Kudos
RMWC
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ok, if that's true, I understand. Looking at the various packages available, I thought it had simply been removed from ours. How sad if this is a Brexit fall-out. Luckily, I think I can cast it from my laptop, so we will continue watching. Important to see how other countries view issues and do things differently. Will become increasingly important as we cut ourselves off in the coming years. 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@RMWC wrote:

Thanks, yes, that is the channel in English and if you press the red button you can reach the website in French. We like to listen in French and I can't get a full screen of the main news screen of the website. Is there a way to do this from 624? 

France 24 in French is available full screen via the Red button app. It will initially come up in a window on the app, but if use your remote to highlight the video you can make it full screen by clicking on OK.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
RMWC
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! Works brilliantly. Solves the problem.

SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Is there a list available somewhere of all the channels that will be affected by OFCOM's decision?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've looked across the VM web sites. Not that I can see. You'll probably only know when the channel message flashes up. It's how VM do things - and I don't like it either. I did find a weird site but it only mentioned the withdrawal of F24 French and only on VM. I'm not sure it has anything to do with Ofcom. I think it is more like some channels adjusting how they reach audiences on some platforms.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

There are likely to be changes to what we get in the UK from EU broadcasters during this year as once the EU exit transition period is over the rules change.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/190342/faq-television-on-demand-services-after-...

Although I have no idea if that affected France 24's decision to stop the linear broadcast version of their channel in French.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos