Menu
Storme
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Redundant Tivo Features

• I'm a 34 year old gay man, living with my partner for the last 20yrs. We do not have any associations with children, even friends with children are asked to keep them at home when coming to our place. So it's extremely frustrating and insulting that I have to constantly type in a pin to watch a series like 'Parks and Recreation', during the day. As the name implies, Parental Controls are for Parents to Control what their children view, so as a non parent now or ever, why am I being forced to conform to this. The assumption that everyone who subscribes to Virgin either has a family or has some sort of association with children is redundant. Even if I should have a brain aneurysm and decide to adopt a child, I would still find it ridiculous, that they would need to enter a pin during the day to watch a programme like The Simpson (yes rating is 15), which is the same rating as the comedy I'm watching 'Parks and Recreation'. I've decided to cancel my virgin when the contract is up as I will not pay to be forced to live a particular way, in my own Home. If there is a way to remove/cancel this ridiculous feature, then please let me know ASAP as I would like to use my virgin Media but this feature has forced me to turn the boxes off and use competitor subscription services.
0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Redundant Tivo Features

You know we really don't need to know the details of your domestic arrangements to tell you that you can turn of the parental control features by following this guidance:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/parental-controls-tv-pin

The only PIN entry control you can't turn off is the one for movies because that is mandated by Ofcom. 

You might find these abbreviated instructions easier to follow:

"No other live channel will ask for a PIN unless you've chosen to lock them with one via Parental Controls, and you can turn off Locked Channels and PIN for recorded programmes via Help & Settings > Settings > Parental Control"

And to rub salt in the wounds this property of the TiVo box is described in the guide that came with the box when you received it and the link above is to the guidance on the Virgin media help pages. 

Maybe you'll get to use your VM box again?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Storme
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And next time you use a community help centre to try to prove how young and hip you are, make sure what you're saying makes sense or in this case, check your own Virgin Box to see if you can do What Isn't mentioned in the link you posted..... That's All.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sky are now using Mandatory Daytime Protection on most of their entertainment channels.

Any 15 or 18 rated programmes shown out of watershed on these channels have the PIN locked on by default & it cannot be removed.

Link attached relating to the change in the OFCOM broadcasting rules.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/mandatory-daytime-protection 

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos