cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recycling a TiVo box

AlanW4
Tuning in

Virgin recently sent me a TV 360 box and told me to take my old TiVo box to a recycling centre. I’m unsure if there would be any personal information stored. If so, I would remove the hard disk, assuming I can get into the box.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's only your recordings & encrypted account details that are likely to be on there.

Perfectly safe to recycle, all things considered.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's only your recordings & encrypted account details that are likely to be on there.

Perfectly safe to recycle, all things considered.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The TiVo is useless to VM, you and anybody else and as VM has dumped onto you the responsibility of getting rid of their property you can certainly break into the box, remove the hard drive and reformat it for your own use.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Anything on the hard drive is hard encoded to the box. So programmes cannot be copied. Any account information will be network system information & not credit details etc.

You can retrieve the hard drive & reformat it, but bear in mind the age of the disk, plus the fact these drives are absolutely hammered throughout their lifetime, spinning up every other hour. I would be wary of putting anything valuable on it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Thank you, that' helpful

Thank you very much.