Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Recordings lost - channel no longer available

• Surely this is not right - I record all Jools Holland programs. I am trying to watch and I get the error BBC2 HD is no longer available (channel 162) so program is deleted !! If I recorded it how can it not be available because Virgin deleted the channel ??!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recordings lost - channel no longer available

This is kind of a rights thing, if a channel is no longer available to you then you lose the ability to view recordings from that channel, i.e. if you unsubscribe from Sky movies then you instantly lose the ability to watch recorded films, in the case of things like BBC2 HD moving channel VM generally keep the channel available for about 3 months, but eventually they have to get rid of it or the guide would just be full of empty channels.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In order to be able to view a recording the metadata for that channel still has to be broadcast on the network. Unless the owner of the channel stipulates otherwise (as with Sky) then VM maintains that metadata for 3 months, then releasing the capacity for other channels.

BBC2 HD is now a regional service, so the old national version (162) is no longer available. Also being a rented box, VM owns all the recordings, so we effectively have no say in when they “expire”.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. I guess like most people, I had assumed I had 'recorded' the program as we did on video, and so I can watch it anytime I like.  I'm not happy with this, no notice was given by Virgin that when they move or discontinue channels the 'recordings' will be lost.  Of course BBC2 is still here but I would always watch HD if I can.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Helpmaboab wrote:

Thanks for your response. I guess like most people, I had assumed I had 'recorded' the program as we did on video, and so I can watch it anytime I like.  I'm not happy with this, no notice was given by Virgin that when they move or discontinue channels the 'recordings' will be lost.  Of course BBC2 is still here but I would always watch HD if I can.

And in the vast majority of cases, there is no time limit on keeping recordings for as long you subscribe to the channels. In this case, channel-102 used to be BBC2-SD, and 162 was BBC2-HD. They were swapped round a good couple of years ago now, so 102 was the HD and the SD version was somewhere in the 860s depending on your area.

VM retained the hidden EPG data to keep Ch162-HD recordings working, for quite a while. Seems as though that's now been deleted (it's been a while!!), unfortunately no Virgin recording box is designed for long-term archiving but time-shifting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Helpmaboab wrote:

As japitts correctly states, Virgins agreements with the channel owners allow recordings for "timeshifting purposes only". They are never permanent recordings. Virgins parent company Liberty Global is already implementing the next generation cable services in Europe, which includes amongst other things doing away with the hard disk in the boxes & placing the recordings in the cloud. This works better for fluid viewing between devices & gives you more storage, but the downside is that all the recordings are likely to come with an "watch by" expiry date.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've just had the same problem - lost loads of CBBC and CBeebies programs the kids enjoy rewatching.  Like you I assumed that once things were recorded they were there for ever. I had no idea this was how the TiVo worked.

Like you, I am not happy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning @NorthernGoshawk

A very warm welcome to the forums and thank you for the post. 

as correctly advised by others, there are a few circumstances were the recordings would no longer work. they are also somewhat out of our control. 

We are really sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused. 

Kind regards 

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Surely, if that's the case, why is the instruction given 'press ok to RECORD this programme' when they clearly aren't being?

0 Kudos