cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recorded programs are getting stuck constantly.

Delta99
Dialled in

I've had my TIVO box for a decade more or less now and this is the first time I've had any issue with it.  Basically many of the programs I've recorded the past month or so are now all sticking in one way or another.  Sometimes it's when you press Play & nothing happens, for others, you can't fast forward or rewind and have to wait minutes for any button at all to work.  I've tried rebooting the box but that didn't help much and nothing else has been changed etc so no idea why it started.

Just don't want to waste time on the phone if there's a quicker solution perhaps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Given the age of your TiVo, and the symptoms, your hard drive is likely starting to fail and this isn't something that can be repaired. It will get progressively worse until the box may fail completely.

Providing you have VM home broadband, your TiVo will be replaced with a V6 which runs the exact same software but on a much newer & quicker box. You just need to report your TiVo faulty which you can either do by calling in (150 from VM, 0345 4541111 from any other phone) or by waiting on this forum a few days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Given the age of your TiVo, and the symptoms, your hard drive is likely starting to fail and this isn't something that can be repaired. It will get progressively worse until the box may fail completely.

Providing you have VM home broadband, your TiVo will be replaced with a V6 which runs the exact same software but on a much newer & quicker box. You just need to report your TiVo faulty which you can either do by calling in (150 from VM, 0345 4541111 from any other phone) or by waiting on this forum a few days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks so much for that info;  I did wonder if that might be the issue with it.  Can you clarify if programs recorded on it will be safe or am I likely to lose them in the process?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When your box is replaced, the hard drive goes with it. When a tech replaces a box, they take the faulty one away with them and install a brand new box with an empty hard drive.

Start blitzing your recordings now, and check which ones may be available via OnDemand or might be re-broadcast.

Hmm that's what worried me.  Honestly in these days between cloud computing & data storage facilities becoming humongous I was sort of expecting VM to have the capability to know everything about my system to the point of being able to back up such stuff & put it on a nice new drive.  Oh well, I'll just have to cope with reality I suppose 🙂 and as you say dump what I don't want.  Just a pity as I've had to downgrade a lot of my programs so no longer able to get them again anyway in full e.g some sporting things, but I'll live.

Ultimately I'd lose them all anyway if I don't get the box replaced - at least I've fair warning now, so thanks for that 🙂

Hi @Delta99 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your recordings and for any inconvenience this may be causing you. The rules/reasons for why we cannot transfer recordings are not set by us, sorry.  I would like to take a look into your issue. I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Delta99 thanks for getting back to me privately. 
I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign into My Virgin Media here. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.
Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:
The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.
Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment, so it is important to reschedule if needed. 
Do please let us know how the appointment goes. 
Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee

Thanks so much for doing that - I will have to change that date unfortunately but am grateful it appears I can get the problem fixed fairly quickly.

Kind regards

Romayne 🙂

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your reply and for confirming this, please let us know how things look after your last post and if you have any updates?

We can see an appointment was arranged in order to fix the problems with your TV recordings, do keep us posted and let us know once this is restored.

In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions you have and we'll do our best to advise.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Will do - yeh I just had to rearrange the appt due to ongoing family commitments, so will update you next wk hopefully on it. Thanks again.