Menu
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my Tivo box keep turning itself on?

@motoguzzibob wrote:
Thank you. So reboot has the same result as if they could power my box from standby? In other words, the end result is the same. I've just had a quick look and note that VM succeeded in getting access to my box at about 1pm today and will be having another go at 6.40 pm. As far as I'm aware, my box did not switch on this afternoon.

I suspect you're looking under Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network and the top-left here? If so, that's nothing to do with VM accessing your box - as it connecting to VM's servers every (roughly) 6 hours to update the EPG. Perfectly normal to happen all the time.

The other section you're looking at is indeed correct - the power-saving options on the TiVo have (IIRC, a long time since I used one and the V6 is different) a 2 hour setting, a 4hour setting and an always-on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

motoguzzibob
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. I'm sure you're right and I bow to your knowledge.
As said, I have avoided having power on always (can't even see why there is such a setting?).
However, none of this is helping with my problem of being woken up by my box (which is the living room, not bedroom, by the way). I can only think of turning the volume down before I go to bed. But I have to say that seems bonkers to me. Apart from which, I never had this problem until the last few months.
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi motoguzzibob,

With a V6 using your remote  go to Home > Help & Settings > Devices > Power Saving Settings - the page explains each setting when you highlight the setting.

Select from Always On, Connected Low Power, or Eco Low Power

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

Hi motoguzzibob,

With a V6 using your remote  go to Home > Help & Settings > Devices > Power Saving Settings - the page explains each setting when you highlight the setting.

Select from Always On, Connected Low Power, or Eco Low Power

Just to clarify, the TiVo & V6 do have subtly different options here....

And no, I'm not sure why anyone would use "always on" either. I'd have thought some basic power-saving should at least be the default, but still.

motoguzzibob
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. However, I've got a Tivo and have tried the settings avoiding the pointless "always on"
0 Kudos
motoguzzibob
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thank you once again for your perseverance! I have a Tivo and, as said, I have tried the different settings. None have made any difference. I have to come to my original thought and that is it's a fault with the box. Although I've read the V6 is a more powerful version (much faster, recording 6 programmes, etc.). I've read it has some faults (doesn't everything?). It costs £99.95 to buy and £7.50 extra a month. I can't imagine wanting to record 6 programmes and I would feel a bit miffed to pay extra rental for something I bought! All of that said, I assume Virgin probably can't resolve my problem and probably can't simply replace my Tivo with another.
What do you reckon?
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

What faults have you read about with the V6? The costs for a swapout can vary, but the £7.50 charge you mention is for a multiroom subscription where you have more than one TV box in your home. There's no more charge per month for a V6 than there is a TiVo.

It is a much quicker box, and handles streaming apps so much better. If you've got a TiVo, I can't imagine you being disappointed with a V6.

motoguzzibob
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for sticking with it! I suggest you Google the faults/problems. They are not major issues, nor do they seem widespread. As I said, nothing is fault free.
So, I pay £99.95, and give my Tivo box back, so I don't pay an extra £7.50 (Thanks for clearing that up). I'll bet they just chuck the old Tivos away! I can't imagine them restoring them.
Incidentally, I've just read that I have to pay £25 set up fee, correct?
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@motoguzzibob wrote:
Thanks for sticking with it! I suggest you Google the faults/problems. They are not major issues, nor do they seem widespread. As I said, nothing is fault free.

I'd be happy to look at any specifics and help/advise.

@motoguzzibob wrote:
So, I pay £99.95, and give my Tivo box back, so I don't pay an extra £7.50 (Thanks for clearing that up). I'll bet they just chuck the old Tivos away! I can't imagine them restoring them.
Incidentally, I've just read that I have to pay £25 set up fee, correct?

If you only have a box-swap then you're deactivating your existing box - VM's recycle kit page doesn't list the TiVo and I've still got my old one here, that's long since disused.

Others on here are more familiar with the pricing side of things, but I believe £100 for the box plus a setup/activation fee is the normal pricing, yes. If you talk nicely to VM Retentions and are in a position to re-contract for 12/18months, then you may well be able to get that reduced. Some people have also got one FOC via the faults route, but that seems far less common from what I hear.

motoguzzibob
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again
0 Kudos