Menu
Adrian9289
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo on demand buffering

I have been experiencing buffering issues with the Tivo box for many months. However, it has recently become much worse. When trying to watch on demand or catch up programmes through the Tivo box, the picture regularly freezes momentarily and the sound is interrupted almost constantly - basically unwatchable unless you are an expert lip reader.

Streaming programmes directly through my LG TV via Netflix or similar gives no problems at all.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do you definitely have a TiVo and not a V6? Check here if you're not sure.

Assuming so... do you get any flashing green lights on the front-left of your box?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Adrian9289
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is a Tivo and not a V6 box. Two solid green lights on LH side. I have not seen them flashing.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any issues with live TV channels?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Adrian9289
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not generally seen any issues watching live channels. Very occasional pixelation when watching recordings. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That eliminates an issue with the video output then.

Pixellation is a signal fault.

For info, many issues with VOD on the TiVo boxes are caused by the onboard internet connection dropping, and a flashing green light on the front-left of the box (look for the "heart" symbol) indicates this connection has dropped.

0 Kudos
Adrian9289
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If there's no solution to my problems with the Tivo box, is there any advantage in upgrading to the V6 system?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

In some respects, that's a bit like asking "if there's no solution to the problems with my current car, is there any benefit in getting a new one?"

The V6 runs the same software platform as the TiVo, so the interface will be familiar to you. It has numerous improvements.. it's much quicker in general operation, and consequently supports many more streaming apps. It has 6 recording tuners rather than the TiVo's 3, and has 4K UHD capability if that floats your boat.

0 Kudos
Adrian9289
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Looking at various posts on this forum and elsewhere, it appears that upgrading (?) to the V6 would probably mean swapping my currently intermittent and slightly annoying problems for much worse problems and paying for the privilege of doing so!

The buffering issues that I have at the moment appear to be "very" intermittent in that at some times I can watch hours of catch-up or on-demand programmes with little or no problem and at other times I have abandoned watching due to the constant buffering (more noticeably sound drop out).

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Adrian9289 wrote:

Looking at various posts on this forum and elsewhere, it appears that upgrading (?) to the V6 would probably mean swapping my currently intermittent and slightly annoying problems for much worse problems and paying for the privilege of doing so!

Not at all - you may be getting confused with the new "V360" platform that is indeed in its infancy and very many people (myself included) are quite happy with the V6 platform for now.. it's very stable, and works extremely well. The V6 box is a huge improvement on the TiVo on many levels.

In time, all TiVo/V6 users will probably be migrated to V360, but that's a long-term thing and certainly not likely to happen during the next 18months.

The only "be aware" is that the V6 doesn't have in-built internet so relies on a stable connection to your homehub to go online. That can be either Ethernet cable (including powerline) or reliable WiFi.

0 Kudos