cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tivo box access to wifi

Wardy5184
Joining in

Does virgin TV send live signals direct to TV boxes or is it streamed??? 

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo boxes have an in-built internet connection for online services such as OnDemand.

Live TV channels are carried through the co-ax cable feed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Wardy5184 wrote:

Does virgin TV send live signals direct to TV boxes or is it streamed??? 

Both TiVO (V6 & older 500Gb boxes) & Horizon (V360) boxes operate using broadcast technology (DVB-C) for live channels. In other words all 200+ live channels are broadcast down the cable 24/7 & the box picks out the ones you want to view or record. Streaming is only used for On Demand/Catch Up content, plus the apps like Netflix & Prime video.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nodrogd wrote:
Streaming is only used for On Demand/Catch Up content, plus the apps like Netflix & Prime video.

Although just to avoid doubt, the TiVo doesn't have the Prime video app - only Netflix & iPlayer from memory.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

In case you are thinking of becoming a VM customer the TiVo boxes are no longer supplied and you'll get a 360 box with a hub for mandatory broadband.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Wardy5184

Thanks for posting on the forums in regards to the TV service and how it is set up, we appreciate you taking the time to post and welcome to the forums.

Are you currently experiencing any issues with your TV service or was this just a general query? If so, we have help here for general issues and here for TV360 problems.

If you need further assistance or advise, please don't hesitate to reach out 🙂

Rob

It was just a general query. Thanks everyone for your replies...