cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tivo Box Pixelation

nickling
On our wavelength

I am also having issues with the 2 Tivo boxes we have. The Pixelation has been happening for weeks, both live and on recordings. It doesn't happen on the V6 Box we have, just on the Tivo boxes. Every time I have an issue like this, I feel so frustrated and powerless to fix it.

It's one of a series of issues we've had with Virgin Media. We have been customers for over 15 years and pay them £100+ per month, but I always feel just as frustrated and powerless when it comes to issues. Calling and sitting on hold for an hour (or over) is soul-destroying. They are supposed to have a web-chat facility, but trying to find how to access that is impossible - there are no links at all from the website contact pages or on the Virgin Media App.

I've complained multiple times about our On-Demand services not working, every time I get an email with the resolution of 'apology to customer'. That's not a resolution!!

I'm getting to the end of my tether. If there is anyone out there that can help me, please get in touch.

Thanks,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly, by means of forum etiquette, it's better to start your own thread than tack onto someone elses. I've done it for you 😉

The pixellation on your 2 x TiVo - if another V6 in your home isn't affected, that probably rules out an external fault and points at either the boxes or your internal cabling. Please try swapping each of the TiVo with your V6 in turn - see if the fault follows the box or remains with the room, that way you know if the box is faulty, or if your cabling has an issue. Then you can report it.

@nickling wrote:

I've complained multiple times about our On-Demand services not working

Let's forget the complaints process, that really isn't the best way of reporting faults. You've not posted about this on the forum before, so I'll ask the basics..

What's the problem with your OnDemand? is it happening on the TiVo or V6? That matters, because the connectivity is different. Do you get any error codes?

There's a strong chance we can get you some help on here - but we need to know what's happening, to diagnose and/or advise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

34 REPLIES 34

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly, by means of forum etiquette, it's better to start your own thread than tack onto someone elses. I've done it for you 😉

The pixellation on your 2 x TiVo - if another V6 in your home isn't affected, that probably rules out an external fault and points at either the boxes or your internal cabling. Please try swapping each of the TiVo with your V6 in turn - see if the fault follows the box or remains with the room, that way you know if the box is faulty, or if your cabling has an issue. Then you can report it.

@nickling wrote:

I've complained multiple times about our On-Demand services not working

Let's forget the complaints process, that really isn't the best way of reporting faults. You've not posted about this on the forum before, so I'll ask the basics..

What's the problem with your OnDemand? is it happening on the TiVo or V6? That matters, because the connectivity is different. Do you get any error codes?

There's a strong chance we can get you some help on here - but we need to know what's happening, to diagnose and/or advise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nickling
On our wavelength

Thanks for taking the time to sort out the thread and send a response. I tagged onto another thread as it wouldn’t allow me to start my own one for some reason?

I appreciate your comments regarding the complaints process, but why shouldn’t it be an effective way of reporting things, when every other avenue to do so doesn’t work? I’ve had a problem where I’ve sat on hold on the phone for over an hour before, then as soon as the call was answered, I was cut off. There’s currently no access to the facility to web chat with someone, leaving the only way to communicate with Virgin Media as a company to write and complain! How else do they know I am experiencing issues?  When a community forum becomes the most effective way of getting any help, that’s fundamentally not right and there’s clearly some serious structural issues within the business. But that’s a different conversation.

With regards to your questions about my specific issues, I’ve already tried all of the suggestions from various threads on here with regards to rebooting, checking connections, swapping boxes etc, but still having the same pixelation issues with the Tivo boxes, especially on BBC One and ITV HD channels.

The On Demand issues are that if watching a film, it will regularly just cut off. No error code, just the Virgin Media On Demand services stop working. Then if you reconnect, it will work again after about 10 minutes, then will randomly cut off again. Usually happens about 2-3 times during a 2 hour film, which obviously just makes it unusable. It doesn’t happen on the V6 box.

Overall setup here is that we have a V6 box in the room where the connection enters, along with the Router. Then we have the Tivo boxes in another room downstairs and a bedroom.

Thanks again for your help.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nickling wrote:

With regards to your questions about my specific issues, I’ve already tried all of the suggestions from various threads on here with regards to rebooting, checking connections, swapping boxes etc, but still having the same pixelation issues with the Tivo boxes, especially on BBC One and ITV HD channels.

That's fine - you've done all you realistically can, this just leaves a box fault or a cabling problem. Swapping the boxes to an otherwise good location will prove that pretty quickly. Edit: I've just noticed you've mentioned swapping the boxes around - what was the result of that? Did the fault follow the TiVo to the new location, or remain with the room?

@nickling wrote:

The On Demand issues are that if watching a film, it will regularly just cut off. No error code, just the Virgin Media On Demand services stop working. Then if you reconnect, it will work again after about 10 minutes, then will randomly cut off again. Usually happens about 2-3 times during a 2 hour film, which obviously just makes it unusable. It doesn’t happen on the V6 box.

The film bit isn't relevant, all OnDemand uses the same service, but if it doesn't happen on the V6 and is limited to the TiVo's, that's useful - the TiVo's have their own inbuilt internet connection separate to your home broadband (unlike the V6) - on the front-left of the TiVo are green LEDs that indicate the "online" status of the internal modem. The "heartbeat" light is the one you're concerned with - does this flash when you have VoD problems? If so, the modem is failing, the box doesn't have an internet connection - and so anything online will fail.

It could well be related to the pixellation issues, or could be separate - but we go full circle to swapping the boxes around. Then you'll know if the cabling has a fault or the box needs replacing.

Once you know which, then you can report it. Either by persisting with the phonelines or, in your case given that you're experiencing the downsides of VM's phone-service, by waiting on here for staffers to pickup. That may take a few days, but that should give you long enough to have tested the box-swap and report back.

nickling
On our wavelength

Both the pixelation fault and the ON Demand fault followed the Tivo box to the new location.

I just think the boxes are so old now, they are on their way out!

Hi @nickling

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Have you spoken to our team since posting? I can take a look into this if so.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nickling
On our wavelength

Hi Travis,

No, not spoken to anyone.

Thanks,

Nick

nickling
On our wavelength

@Travis_M, any joy?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi @nickling,

Apologies for the delayed response.

I am going to PM you now so we can get a tech out to check things over and if required replace the box for you.

Speak soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the requested details via PM @nickling,

I've booked a technician for you to come out and have a look into the issue with the pixilation on your box. You can find confirmation of the visit via your
online account.

Please let me know if there are any problems with the date or time and I can look to reschedule this for you. In regards to the appointment there are some details you need to know about. There will be no charge for this visit unless:

•The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can also do this online or via the
MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Let us know how the visit goes!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team