Menu
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixelating

Hello Albert,

Can you advise what the outcome was on this issue?  We have a similar problem, intermittent pixelation which is a bit annoying. I will probably give the reboot a try but really can't stand the thought of going through Virgin (again) for any help, it's like walking through treacle these days. 

Cheers

John G

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Pixelating

@JRG49 

Please start new threads rather than tacking onto old ones 😉

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so call VM and report it. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up. They can do these while you're on the phone to them.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service"

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well thanks a lot. 

I could see the steps suggested to try to deal with this issue because it's the exact same problem on this thread.  I wanted to circumvent the hassle of going through Virgin as recent experience has been absolutely dire!  If I could find out how it was resolved it might save me some time?

Thankfully I will be leaving Virgin in the not too distant future, not helped at all by yet another price increase announced!

Cheers.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Everyone's pixellation problem is different - just because something worked for another poster, doesn't mean it'll necessarily work for you.

It could be a fault with your box tuners, it could be a faulty or corroded connector, it could be a cable issue, but the correct course of action is to report your fault to VM and let them investigate. The only consistent thing, is to reboot your box once and then check for existing area faults.

I agree that VM's C/S is, to be generous, a little below par at the moment. But by reporting your own fault, and letting VM investigate properly, that's ultimately the best way to get your issues resolved.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks, points taken however, I was thinking this was a 'Community' Forum so communicating between each other might be encouraged, clearly I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Cheers  

0 Kudos
Albert4
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi I can understand the frustration about going through VM But go through 150 initially and after you get through they will suggest the reboot etc etc after initial contact phone again it was recognised that I had phoned before about the problem and put me through to a real person who organised a engineer to come out a fit a new box. Problem solved. I wish you luck  but with preserving you will get through. Albert

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You're absolutely right about this being a community forum - but by means of explanation, it's quite common on here for old threads (quite often solved) to be added-to by new users rather than starting their own post with their own issues.

I've re-read the post you originally replied to, also mentioned box restarts (always try that once), checking for the cables being finger-tight, and swapping HDMI cables. Nothing wrong with any of that.

The other thing you can check, which was alluded to in the post you replied to, was which channels are affected. Digital TV platforms (VM no exception) broadcast channels in "clusters" which often bear little resemblance to their EPG positions. A signal fault that affects one channel on a cluster (mux) will usually affect all channels - and cause, what seems to most people, random channels to pixellate.

The other poster mentioned BBC1-HD, is this one of your affected channels?

0 Kudos
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Albert!  That is useful to know and basically endorses my point of asking someone who has had a similar problem otherwise we all end up going down the same old route which can take an eternity (certainly based on my, or my wife's, last issue).  My logic is to learn from other peoples experiences and try to save time.

Thanks again

John   

0 Kudos