Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Catchup now subscribe only

Catch-up charges??  confusion

I have also noticed that some channels in my package are only offered on catch up as HD requiring subscription.

Some used to give a choice, so you could choose the free catch-up rather than paying for HD catch-up

I never had this issue in the past, so virgin are now charging for some catch-up???

Surely all catch-up should be free that is in your package and not offered HD catch-up which can be £2.50

It is  very confusing indeed, also if you click the wrong option you will be charged and HD comes up as the first option.

If you do not have HD in your package why is catch-up offering HD catch-up which requires extra charge and can easily be clicked.

I do not require HD and do not want to pay extra for this, it should be free anyway.as all modern equipment is HD.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There are different "categories" if you will, of OnDemand.

CatchUp refers to programmes generally broadcast in the past 30 (in some cases longer) days, and is inclusive. In the case of the terrestrial channels, they are included on all packages.

Once a programme goes beyond the CatchUp window, then it can be classed as BoxSets. These are generally complete and/or past series, and are only available on the top-tier XL/Full-House/Maxit package.

If a particular pay channel that you have access to, uses the CatchUp service then you should have access to CatchUp programmes from that channel. One big "be aware" here, mainly where Sky channels are concerned... OnDemand programmes are often availble in SD & HD variants, but if your package only includes the respective channel in SD, then you only get access to the VOD in SD, too. Several of the Sky channels are only available in HD on Full-House/XL/Maxit.

Whether you agree with it or not, where channels are available in HD, that is being increasingly promoted. There's a few channels that are HD-only, too - and that's unlikely to change.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the helpful reply, it explains why sometimes HD only requiring subscription if beyond the available date.30 days and then become box sets which I would have to pay for so wise to record them as a series link. The 30  day limit is very restrictive should be 3 or 6 months

I can get most of the free   channels on catch up, no problem except bbc which direct to iplayer now and keeps asking me to log in even though I have done this many times, so catch up is not always easy now.

Some programmes  which  are "series" on sci fi are not listed on catch up even if I do a search can not find them, and not on netflix either so best to record them as a series onto V6 box, but I keep running out of space on the disc, so easy to fill it up.

My package is "Fun" tv which will exclude some catch up unless I subscribe, as you point out.

My account overview shows no broadband today but it should be M100 broadband

The change  for some channels to be HD only now means restricted access unless you have full house packages, requiring higher cost.

The older V box now replaced by V6 had a far better catch up system with no costs at all, so the new system is not as good and for the same cost the  service is more restricted now unless you pay for a full package which I can not afford, paying enough now and having to use the iplayer hub etc which can be a mess on often requiring a log in to work even though working via virgin catch up.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ALF28 wrote:

Thanks for the helpful reply, it explains why sometimes HD only requiring subscription if beyond the available date.30 days and then become box sets which I would have to pay for so wise to record them as a series link. The 30  day limit is very restrictive should be 3 or 6 months

I'm sure Virgin Media would like to have the longest available time limits on VOD expiry, but this depends on the carriage agreements with the broadcasters allowing them. Considering it used to be 7days fixed on all channels, and it's now at least 30days in most cases, it's much improved. Ultimately if you record programmes, you are not tied to this.

@ALF28 wrote:

I can get most of the free   channels on catch up, no problem except bbc which direct to iplayer now and keeps asking me to log in even though I have done this many times, so catch up is not always easy now.

Your complaint is with the BBC here, not Virgin Media. It is they who have changed the login requirements for the iPlayer, and there are certain advantages gained by using this facility, such as having one "account" across different devices.

@ALF28 wrote:

The older V box now replaced by V6 had a far better catch up system with no costs at all, so the new system is not as good and for the same cost the  service is more restricted now unless you pay for a full package which I can not afford, paying enough now and having to use the iplayer hub etc which can be a mess on often requiring a log in to work even though working via virgin catch up

The OnDemand service on the TiVo is fundamentally identical (in availability of programmes) to that of the V6, certainly BoxSets & CatchUp content is completely the same.

Where the V6 has an advantage, is access to the ITV, C4 & C5 branded apps - and again, any complaints about programmes being made available on those apps and not on "standard" VOD are arguably best directed at the broadcasters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

iplayer

As I had an existing device a sky/Now box via broadband using iplayer, so I created a second  BBC account to use with V6 box now working with iplayer (bbc)

On the Now box all players now require a separate log in now, not needed before just happened recently, all4, 5, itv hub, which is different to the v6 box which  seems to work with most players without login except for  iplayer (bbc)

Also now lost the virgin bbc text service so have to use freeview, which is awkward having to switch remotes and causes confusion with my wife not knowing which remote to  use and having to change source on tv remote each time   to go back to the virgin source as it is not a smart tv.

Things just get more difficult.

0 Kudos