Menu
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Questions about Virgin T6 box.

As I posted elsewhere on this forum, a couple of weeks ago myself and all the tenants resident in the block of flats I live in suffered a collective breakdown of Virgin broadband and TV services. My router was replaced a couple of days later and the engineer offered to replace my now damaged TIVO box, but I asked to keep so I could watch programmes and films I hadn't yet watched.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, today a Virgin engineer has been and replaced it with, I learn, a Virgin T6 box. I know they are supposed to be better than TIVO boxes and I'm sure I'll be fine with it once I get used to it, although I hope I will be not incurring any extra charges, since I did not request it.

Also, I see that when you look at the front of the T6 box, you're unable to see how many programmes are being recorded, which I find a little bit of an inconvenience. Moreover, with the old TIVO box I didn't need to have my router switched on to view such things as on-demand and catch-up services, which it now appears I have to.

So, just a few initial grumbles, and perhaps in a week from now I'll wonder how I ever managed without it. That said, If I had the choice, I'd be happy right now to switch back to a TIVO model which I'd been perfectly happy with up to my block of flats suffering a mass Virgin malfunction a few weeks back.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Questions about Virgin T6 box.

@regentroad5 wrote:

Also, I see that when you look at the front of the T6 box, you're unable to see how many programmes are being recorded, which I find a little bit of an inconvenience. Moreover, with the old TIVO box I didn't need to have my router switched on to view such things as on-demand and catch-up services, which it now appears I have to.

Correct... the TiVo has an inbuilt internet connection so provides its own link to VOD and other online service. The V6 doesn't, so needs to use your homehub.

Is it a problem to leave your homehub on? Most people wouldn't be switching them on & off.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Up to speed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi japitts, and thank you, you're a mine of information.

Certainly, when I retire for the night or am out for the day I switch my router off. It's something I've always done, particularly now I am retired and on a reduced income.

It's no major biggy I suppose, because I see I am still able to record and view if my router is turned off. Also, as I mentioned in my previous post, I have only just received the V6, so am having to familiarize myself with something new and with slightly different functions. I'm sure I'll be happy with it, once I get fully used to it.

As previously mentioned, I will be contacting Virgin to ensure having a new, presumably superior, Virgin box does not impact on my present Virgin contract..

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Superstar
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi I amount of electricity a hub uses is very little, you will find it better to keep your hub on and the V6 on standby all the time because they are receiving data all the time so that your programme guide is fully up to date, and virgin update things in the early hours of the morning when there are less viewers using the systems, it will all perform more efficiently.Regards, hope you enjoy it as it's much better box.Regards Micky
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Micky and thank you for your reply.

There may well be much truth in what you say. I have to say though that having used Virgin's broadband service for over 10 years, I have always turned my router off at bedtime, etc, and I do not ever recollect having issues when switching it back on again, other than the problems which occurred a couple of weeks back when everybody using Virgin services in my block of flats were adversely affected.

Also I came across this article before and while it is something I hadn't really considered before regarding router turn-off, I find it interesting and gives one food for thought.

https://www.shieldyourbody.com/2017/02/turn-off-your-wifi-router-at-night/

Thanks again.

0 Kudos