Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem pairing new TV remote with CM cable box

HenryQ
Superfast

Note sure if this is the right forum, but here goes

:
I ordered a new Tivo TV remote, which duly arrived. A sticky label said to visit https://www.virginmedia.com/tivoremotehelp. From there, I selected “How to pair the Virgin TV remote to the box”.

The web page says to “Hold the minus button on the front of your V6 box down for 10 seconds” and, after a couple of other steps, to hold down the plus button (also on the front of the V6 box)”. My VM cable box does have quite a few buttons on the front, but there is neither a “minus” button nor a “plus” button.

So, I took the alternative route, as  shown on the same web page - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/using-your-remote

The five steps are as follows:

1. Select Home on the remote
  2. Select Help & Settings
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select Devices
  5. Select Remote Control Pairing

The first four steps were fine, but after Step 4 (“Select Devices”), there is no option to “5. Select Remote Control Pairing.” The only options are:

• Power Saving Settings
  • Name this Tivo Box
  • Network Remote Control

The new remote is (kind of) working. It will let me power up the cable box and also change channels. But the volume control (up/down) button is completely dead.

Could someone please point me to an accurate VM web page as to how to pair my new TV remote with my existing VM cable box? To be honest, I don’t understand why I have to “pair” two VM devices in the first place.

15 REPLIES 15

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi HenryQ 

Does this video help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSloQ7y6xkk&t=5s 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Well, VM's own web page is obviously wrong. Why?

So, I followed your YouTube link and certainly got further. But when I get to the stage where one has to enter a four-digit code, I am stuck. The instructions say to hold down (on the remote) the Clear key followed by the TV key. I should apparently then see the light above the Home key flash green twice. But all I get is a red light once. I have tried this ten times now.

On the screen with the four-digit number to be entered, one has to select either "Yes that worked" or "No. Let's try the next code (there's four more)”. So, I select the latter option. A new four-digit number is displayed, but I am dropped out of the options entirely and returned to viewing whatever channel I was watching.

As I say, I have tried this ten times now.

The children at VM are obviously having a huge laugh at their customer's expense. I have a career background in IT but these instructions (both VM's and yours) simply do not work.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @HenryQ 

Have  you tried new batteries? Also make sure you have clear line of sight to the box.

It's possible that the remote is already programmed to another TV so you could try factory resetting the remote.

reset your remote to its original settings:

Press and hold down Clear and TV on the remote at the same time until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice.

Then press Thumbs Down three times, and then press OK

Fingers crossed the LED will flash green four times and exit programming mode.

You should then be able to pair the remote.

If when following the prvious instructions for the series of codes to try you can also put 0999 in place of the code and press channel up until the TV turns off. then press OK.

Instead of the 999 find your TV model remote codes <<< here >>>  and try them - the first one isn't always the best. It might only control some of the keys so try a few.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @HenryQ 

I've just found an old post regarding pairing the remote which I'm going to copy paste in full (in case the original is archived shortly and can no longer be accessed, so I can refer back to this one if needed)

Programming your remote using a code search

The simplest way to programme your TiVo remote to work with your TV is by searching for the correct code.

1. Make sure your TV and your TiVo box are switched on.
  2. Press and hold down Clear  and TV at the same time, until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice.
  3. Enter the code 0999 to access the TV code database - the LED will flash green twice.
  4. Press channel up repeatedly until a code turns off your TV - the LED will flash green each time a code is sent.
  5. When your TV turns off, use your TV remote to turn your TV back on.
  6. Press Volume  and  Mute to check that the remote is working with your TV. If it isn't working continue to search using channel up until the next code turns off the TV, and repeat steps 5 and 6.
  7. When the Volume and Mute keys work, press  OK to store the code. The LED will then flash green twice.

If you reach the end of the code database, the light on top of the remote will give an extended red flash and exit programming mode.

If you think you’ve missed the code, you can work backwards through the code database by pressing the channel down button at any time.

Once you’ve set up your TiVo remote to control the volume and mute on your TV, some TVs will support control of the standby function too. To check this, just press and hold standby  for more than 5 seconds and then release, and your TV should turn off. Repeat this to turn your TV back on. If this doesn’t work correctly, then you’ll need to use your TV remote to turn your TV on and off.

Programming your remote using a device code

If you’ve been unable to programme your remote by searching for the correct code, you can also programme the correct code into your remote from the device code list.

1. Make sure your TV and your TiVo box are switched on
  2. Find your make of TV and the 4 digit code(s) that match it here. If there‘s more than one code for your TV make, try the codes in the order listed.
  3. Press and hold down Clear  and TV  at the same time, until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice.
  4. Enter the four digit code for your TV's make from the list. The LED should then flash green twice. This shows you’ve entered a valid code.
  5. Press  Volume and Mute to check that the remote is working. If not, repeat the steps above using a different code for your TV from the list.
  6. Once you’ve programmed your remote you’ll notice that the light on the top will flash green instead of red when using it for volume and mute control.

The remote can only store one device code at a time, so you can’t control more than one TV, unless each TV works with the same code. This also means that you can’t have a TV and an AV device programmed at the same time.

Reset remote

To clear your changes and reset your remote to its original settings:

1. Press and hold down Clear and TV on the remote at the same time until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice.
  2. Press Thumb's Down three times, then press OK 
  3. The LED will flash green four times and exit programming mode.
Dave
The do's and don'ts.

HenryQ
Superfast

I appreciate all your help but the issue seems to be that when I hold down the Clear and TV buttons, I just get a single red light rather than the green one twice.

With my old TV remote, which has keys that are now sticking (hence the request for a replacement), holding down the Clear and TV buttons does produce a green light twice. But the new remote just gives a single red light. The red light means I am stuck. This new remote seems to work except that the volume control up/down button is dead.

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @HenryQ,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you have been having issues with your remote and the TV, sometimes with new remotes when you have reset them, the settings in the box may not always be paired to the TV volume correctly, can you please confirm for me exactly which box it is you have with us?

Joe

HenryQ
Superfast

The difficulty is that my physical VM box doesn't have any markings to say which one it is. I have no idea why.

But when I ordered the new Remote, VM's ordering system decided without asking me which type of remote to ship.

Please tell me how to identify which box I have.  

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @HenryQ,

The box will say what it is with the Serial number, if you are unable to find this it is stated on your bill, under the your package section, it will explain what each section is and state the type of TV box you have.

Joe

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @HenryQ 

You posted in the Tivo forum amd also mentioned that you had the tivo box so I've been answering based on the tivo box. The picture below shows the Tivo, 360 and V6 boxes.  The tivo box is the one on the right hand side.

The V6 and 360 boxes look identical in design but you can tell the difference by the remote as the 360 has a voice button whearas the V6 doesn't.  Also the 360 doesn't have a Clear button.

which box.jpg

Dave
The do's and don'ts.