Menu
idkwia
Up to speed
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Possible to programme TV remote to work Tivo box?

I have a new Smart TV and the remote seems a huge upgrade on the VM remote and I hate having to use 2 remotes to do different things. I know it is possible to get the VM remote to control the TV but I would like to know if it is possible to get the TV remote to operate the Tivo box? VM Tech Support say it is not possible, anyone here know differently?

I have thought about contacting the people who actually design/manufacture the box as presumably they would know, so does anyone know who they are?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible to programme TV remote to work Tivo box?

Hello

It will depend who the supplier of the TV is that would be the best info to provide Virginmedia ?

Which TV box do you have Tivo, V6 of V360 ?

Contacting the provider of the box will not help you !

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Some “universal” remotes that you can buy contain the codes to operate TiVO plus the TV controls as well, but individual set manufacturers will only really be interested in basic third party features (usually DVD/Blu-Ray player functionality).

I would be looking down the universal remote route, bearing in mind that TiVOs partnership with VM ends shortly. The new Horizon 360 platform does work with universal remotes that are preloaded with the Dutch operator Ziggo Media’s codes, & I would imagine VM will be added shortly.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Indeed - I've used a One4All remote with my V6 (and other A/V kit) for many years.

They have a "teaching" mode to learn all the proprietry functions that are kit-specific, so expect to spend an hour or two going through all the V6/TiVo-specific buttons, but it works perfectly well after that.

https://www.oneforall.co.uk/ 

idkwia
Up to speed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Mike

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Tivo box and the TV is made by LG.

0 Kudos
idkwia
Up to speed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Nodrodg and Japitts

The reason I want to use my TV remote rather than a universal one is because it has a pointer beam that moves a 'cursor' around the TV screen which is pretty cool, it also has buttons which take you directly to Netflix, Disney etc. and I believe (not tried it yet) it allows me to 'talk' to the TV to carry out certain functions.

Given that most TVs require a set-top box (I think that is right?) it is hard for me to believe that manufacturers supply you with a very Smart TV but their all singing and dancing remote cannot operate the set-top box. If a universal remote can work the Tivo box then why not the remote from a TV manufacturer?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@idkwia wrote:

Thanks Nodrodg and Japitts

Given that most TVs require a set-top box (I think that is right?) it is hard for me to believe that manufacturers supply you with a very Smart TV but their all singing and dancing remote cannot operate the set-top box. If a universal remote can work the Tivo box then why not the remote from a TV manufacturer?

No. TVs have free broadcast services built in, usually Freeview &/or Freesat. STBs are paid for extras (Virgin/Sky/BT) that use their own firmware & apps. TV remotes are therefore targetted at the sets own firmware & apps. To give you a remote that operates STBs is added expense to the TV manufacturer as STBs have far more functions than the Smart TV will ever have.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993