Menu
Rillington
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Pluto TV, All4, My5, BBC Sounds and other apps not available to Tivo box customers

I was reading through posts on the website and noticed that VM has added a number of apps in recent months. I then checked the apps section on my Tivo box and found that, apart from STV Player, none of the apps mentioned in the title of this topic are available to me and I was wondering why this is the case. 

The Tivo boxes are able to run apps - after all, BBC iPlayer, YouTube and STV Player are on there so does anyone know why VM have chosen not to provide Tivo box customers with Pluto TV, All4, My5, BBC Sounds and presumably many others as well.

It's worth stating that the press release for the launch of All4 states that it is available "The app will be available to all TV customers at no extra cost" with no mention that it is not available to Tivo box customers, assuming of course that this is the case.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pluto TV, All4, My5, BBC Sounds and other apps not available to Tivo box customers

The TiVo is an old box running old hardware, if you want to make regular use of streaming apps then I would strongly recommend looking at a box-swap to a V6, assuming you have VM broadband of course. That's a requirement.

The V6 is just so much quicker than the TiVo, and much better suited to running the numerous streaming apps that are now available.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rillington
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pluto TV, All4, My5, BBC Sounds and other apps not available to Tivo box customers

Thank you for your reply.

I'm a TV only customer and am happily contracted for broadband to another provider.

I take the point about the oldness of the box but I still don't understand why VM has taken the decision not to provide me with content that other TV customers are receiving and this is why I asked the question. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There's probably an element of commercial choice in this, as well as a practical point that the TiVo is an old box, the V6 is newer - there's no getting around that, and the potential support issues that could easily result. Perhaps there's also a marketing element of encouraging broadband take-up, and if so, that's a position Virgin Media are quite entitled to take.

I appreciate you're happy with your alternative broadband supplier, you have to make a choice which you want more - the alternative broadband, or the V6.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rillington
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think you're probably right regarding the possibility that this is a business decision. After all, if the Tivo boxes can run the iPlayer, YouTube and STV then they can run BBC Sounds, All4, My5 and Pluto TV.

Out of interest, what other Apps which VM provides as part of its TV service that Tivo (and TV only) customers are currently unable to access?
0 Kudos