cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixellation on Cisco CT 8620 on some channels of Virgin box

Mel_RP
Joining in

No real problems since "Blueyonder" install years ago! Very low user of "basic" TV service

I have recently started getting pixellation. It happened very badly on Alibi last week when I tried to record Annika. No usable picture.  Tried Alibi+1 - even worse.  Sky Arts also pixelating. Can watch on "catch-up".

I had, several years ago, put a longer cable (F-F) between the inside wall box and the virgin box but this has worked for years!  However when I replaced this today with the shorter Virgin (2m) supplied pixellation was less. Obviously a deprived signal issue.

I know that I have a "brown box" outside where there is a internet / TV splitter and the phone "birds nest".  I took the lid off and loosened each of the 3 F-type plugs and wiggled / rotated each one. This produced a much better result on the TV signal and Alibi is now OK.  Alibi +1 and Sky Arts show some randon pixelation but are usable.

Main channels BBC, ITV, 4, 5, All OK.

So it seems a signal issue.

If I put my longer (Maplin!) cable back in this worsens the situation again - but this as 6m long (to enable me to hide the cable round a french window and not drape it across the floor....) so not liked by my better half.

How do I resolve this please?

QUESTION - is there a maximum length for a connection cable from inner wall box to virgin box?

Mel P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You have a TiVo. If it's faulty I think VM will not swap it out but will offer an upgrade to a V6 - which requires a subscription to VM's broadband as well.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's a very good point, I'd missed that - good spot @Roger_Gooner 

TiVo's are now fault-swapped for V6 so I'm not sure what @Mel_RP means by "basic" TV service. If this means TV-only and no broadband, then you may need to make a decision about your pay-TV provision as all current VM TV boxes require their home broadband to function.

Mel_RP
Joining in

Hello. I have 200mb broadband and a largely unused phone as well as the lowest cost TV package I can get. I have freestat and Freeview TV and only use virgin TV for occasional channels that are not on the free services. 

I will do the autocheck. Thanks. Mel

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Check out whether Fire TV Stick or Roku have the missing stuff you want, if so dump VM for a cheaper ISP.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Have checked a few more channels - BBC3 and BBC4 are unusable.

At the moment BT / Openreach are "recabling" all of the poles in the street so in the near future I think that I should have access to BT fibre to the house if I want it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Whatever your future choices over service provision, you're paying for a fault-free service once you report issues to VM and they're given a chance to rectify them.

Mel_RP
Joining in

Hello - I got the "bot" to do a test on my TV feed and it came back saying it looks like there is an (unknown) issue in my area. They will try to fix and check back in 24 hrs - we'll see!