Menu
TIVOTRAUMA
Tuning in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Pixellation and picture/sound break-up on certain channels

This is crazy, I really don't understand what's going on with this box right now, but it's driving me nuts.

I have an old telly and my Tivo connects to it via SCART cable (it's a pre-HDMI beast).

Anyway, been working great for years with no problems whatsoever. But, recently, boy oh boy, there is no end to its mischief. So inconsistent, though! There is pixellation on only certain channels and it varies in severity; some are completely unwatchable with distortions in both sound and vision. Weird thing is, this is happening live and, as I say, on only certain channels, some worse than others but NEVER on catch up or anything I have recorded.

Reckon it may be time to get an engineer in.....

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Pixellation and picture/sound break-up on certain channels

Pixellating pictures are indicative of a signal fault which, if a restart hasn't resolved, needs either an engineer visit or a replacement box.

OnDemand is delivered over the internet and wouldn't be affected.

If live TV is affected, so should recordings be. The channels that are affected may well appear random, but won't be.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TIVOTRAUMA
Tuning in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. Strange thing is, ITV was fine for a few days last week, now it's almost unwatchable. What has happened between then and now? What would affect the signal? Hopefully getting an engineer out on Friday. I am hoping that he would be able to make the necessary repair, although not quite sure what that would take the form of, exactly. Would hate to lose the box as I still have some recorded shows and films I'd like to keep.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'd recommend watching any programmes that you've not seen, before the appointment.

If the box is diagnosed faulty, it will be replaced and you'll lose all your recordings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
TIVOTRAUMA
Tuning in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps a daft question, but why would some channels play perfectly well and others not when they're viewed via the same box? I've got Now 80s channel on just now and picture/sound is flawless, whereas ITV is a mess of pixellation. Could the engineer correct this in some way if all that is required is a change to the signal/frequency of the affected channels?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Digital TV platforms carry channels in clusters which don't necessarily bear any resemblance to their EPG positions.

Each cluster is then carried on a particular frequency. If you get a signal fault on one particular frequency, all the channels carried on affected clusters will tend to be affected.

ITV SD & ITV HD are carried on different clusters to Now 80.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi TIVOTRAUMA,

Channels are carried in clusters of frequencies or muxes.

For example the picture below shows 3 frequencies(muxes), each carrying 7 channels.

If the signal is bad on one of those frequencies, eg C065, then you will have pixellation on Eden HD, Sky Crime HD, Dave HD and the other 4 channels on that frequency.

Now 80's which is ok for you shares a frequency with ITV3, ITV3+1, Sony Channel, Sony Christmas etc, so those channels should be ok for you to view.

That means an engineer will need to come out and get the signal levels right for your connection.  That may mean external work at the cabinet, internal work on your cabling, a mixture of both, and also possibly a new box, as sometimes the box is also faulty

Clipboard01.jpg

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

TIVOTRAUMA
Tuning in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Engineer booked (and managed to get a slot for tomorrow, luckily enough), so we'll see what he has to say.  I will of course report back. I honestly think the box Is maybe goosed but we'll see. Hopefully they carry new ones in their vans!😅

Thanks to both community members who replied. Most grateful. You really know your stuff.

Cheers!

Peter

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, all home visit engineers carry a stock of spare boxes. Do let us know how the home visit goes, good luck with it.

0 Kudos
TIVOTRAUMA
Tuning in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so very much again. Fingers crossed it will be a simple repair. Would hate to lose the box with all the films and shows I've recorded. That'll teach me.

I wonder if many have had engineer visits which resulted in repairs being carried out rather than boxes replaced. Be nice to know it can happen.

0 Kudos