Menu
charlestsa
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Pixellation/ Drop Outs

Thls time last year new cabling was fitted to the distribution box outside our house and new cabling fitted from the box to the house as we were getting random pixellation on recordings and live TV.

The problem has returned but in a slightly different form.On live TV there are random sound/vision drop outs.These give the effect of a micro pause.On It's A Sin on C4 last Friday it happened 3 times.

On recordings there is either a pixellation of the bottom half of the picture,or the above ,but in this case the  picture actually freezes for a second or two.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixellation/ Drop Outs

Is this on SD or HD? Is it only C4 affected or any other channels?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
charlestsa
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It happens on any channel (HD).Never watch non HD.

Does not follow any pattern

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

In that case, the standard answer to any "my live TV is pixellating" query applies!

Reboot your box once to eliminate gremlins, check the status line (0800 5610061) for any known issues, and if you're still drawing a blank, then call it in.

If one reboot has failed to clear symptoms, further reboots won't make a scrap of difference to whatever underlying fault is causing it. Box tuner issue, cabling fault (internal or external), rusty connector, problem in the streetcab, take your pick....

It needs either an engineer visit or box replacement, one of the two.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
charlestsa
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Virgin insisted after 5 visits that the box was the problem but finally agreed to change the cabling in the box outside and from the box to the house which cured the issue for about 8 months.

This is not a new issue and is eventually sorted .Changing over the box seems to be the usual route that the engineers would like to take ,but ,as in my case I was able to show that the box was not the issue.

As my feed is the first one off the distribution box for the Close I feel that the strength of the signal ( some engineers have said it is too strong) has a part to play

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@charlestsa wrote:

As my feed is the first one off the distribution box for the Close I feel that the strength of the signal ( some engineers have said it is too strong) has a part to play

All the more reason for an engineer visit. There are certain tolerances that the power levels need to be within, and the recent variation in hot & cold weather can also play havoc here.

0 Kudos