Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Pixelation on recordings

We get a lot of picture freeze and pixelation usually when watching recordings on channel 5HD, can't say I've noticed it on live TV but it may be that we don't actually watch that channel much. I've tried all of the online help instructions and spent half a lifetime trying to speak to someone on the phone as I suspect it's a job for an engineer but as yet I've had no joy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixelation on recordings

There's a couple of thing this could be.

Pixellation on live TV is often caused by poor signal, which is a fault. If a channel is pixellated, the recordings from it will also have problems. So is live TV affected, and are there any other channels that have this problem? There are some other channels you can check that would also be affected if there is a signal issue here, but let's check your live TV first.

Alternatively, it may be that your hard drive has problems. In this case, your live TV will be fine - but anything that uses the hard drive will have problems - so all recordings, or whenever you pause/rewind live TV.

Either of these will need the fault being reported to VM, but a hard drive problem can be remedied by your box being replaced. Signal issues can either be a box replacement or engineer visit - assuming there's no existing faults that could be causing it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

It's definitely a signal issue I've tried watching the channel live and the problem occurs then, it's channel 5hd

How do I arrange a visit from an engineer online?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi RobT1,

Sorry to see you are having major problems with your TIVO box.

Have you tried signing into Service status at the top of this page? It shows any local faults and you can also run a test against the TIVO box. By doing this VM should be able to send a signal to your box and try to repair it, or send out a replacement and/or engineer.

If that doesn't work then you need to contact the Faults team on 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am to avoid call queues 

When calling Faults hopefully the system will recognise that you've used the online faults checker and place you into a queue for an agent to pick up, rather than going through all the automated tests .If that doesn't resolve the problem then call back around 10 minutes later and an agent should pick the phone up.

You could also try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

Hi RobT1,

Sorry to see you are having major problems with your TIVO box.

Have you tried signing into Service status at the top of this page? It shows any local faults and you can also run a test against the TIVO box. By doing this VM should be able to send a signal to your box and try to repair it, or send out a replacement and/or engineer.

I hope newapollo won't mind me picking one thing up here, but in the context of a user having what looks like signal issues... C/S have been known to try to resolve signal faults by "sending stronger signals" (and some similar variants).

There are some fault scenarios that can be resolved by remote hits, but if a box has an issue with the incoming signals, it almost certainly needs physical attention. Whether that's a box replacement to resolve an internal fault, or an engineer to check the cabling to cabinet, is something VM should be able to determine.

But you can't resolve signal faults by sending stronger signals. Sorry to be nit-picky Dave, but that needs clarifying 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos