Menu
thompa
Up to speed
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Pixelation on TiVo getting worse

Yesterday, we wanted to watch the CNN channel but bad pixelation prevented us. I called 150 and had a good chat with the operative who said no technicians could be sent out until the end of May when COVID rules changed.

He advised we wait 24 hours and call back if the situation had not improved. He also advised putting the TiVo into standby mode overnight.

Today, we are having problems with lots of channels including BBC 2. I called 150 again and was informed an Engineer's appointment has been made - but I have no email confirmation nor text. Looking in the app there appears to be nothing scheduled either.

Can anyone from the VirginMedia team confirm if an Engineer is scheduled to visit and when?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Pixelation on TiVo getting worse

@thompa wrote:

Yesterday, we wanted to watch the CNN channel but bad pixelation prevented us. I called 150 and had a good chat with the operative who said no technicians could be sent out until the end of May when COVID rules changed.

That's partly true for the case of non-fault issues (the timeline is speculation, the no tech bit is true). But for fault-fixes, that's garbage. You're not the first person to report being told so recently, though.

@thompa wrote:

He advised we wait 24 hours and call back if the situation had not improved. He also advised putting the TiVo into standby mode overnight.

Today, we are having problems with lots of channels including BBC 2. I called 150 again and was informed an Engineer's appointment has been made - but I have no email confirmation nor text.

The standard advice with (the vast majority of) pixellation queries is to reboot your box once - and if problems persist, there is clearly an underlying problem - however long that takes. The use of standby overnight sounds like a red herring to me.

The best way to check tech appointments would be to login to your "my VM" online account and choose the "my appointments" option. I'm fairly sure the 150-IVR should also prompt you for "checking or changing", if you have one outstanding. Unless the agent you spoke to confirmed a date & time with you, I'll wager that nothing will have been booked but will hope I'm wrong.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
thompa
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to our issue - really appreciate it.

Checked online at the VirginMedia website and no technician visit has been arranged.

Will call them again today.

thanks again.

Allan

0 Kudos
thompa
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So, I called 150 and had a good chat with the technician and he ran through the usual checks although a new one was to change the socket the HDMI lead was plugged into.

Nothing worked so he ordered a replacement box.

I asked him about the V6 box and he said it would cost a 'one off' fee of £60 and he would check availability. He was gone some time and when he returned, he apologized for giving me incorrect information. The V6 box would now cost me £120! He was told they were in short supply because of the general chip shortage and the cost was representative of their rarity ( ie Virgin are making money because they are in short supply).

Replacement TiVo arrived yesterday and the problems with pixelation are now all gone.

I found it strange,though, that Virgin don't want the old TiVo back. Apparently, we can recycle it!

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello @thompa,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I hope you are well, sorry for the issues you are having with the TV channels.

I was not able to find a media account for you, please can you tell me if you are still needing help with this?

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
thompa
Up to speed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, the issue has been resolved with the installation of the replacement TiVo.

Regards,

Allan

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Perfect! That is good news 🙂

Thank you for letting me know @thompa.

I hope you have a lovely rest of the day.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos