Menu
Jacklia
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Pixelation - another one...!

Lots of channels are now becoming unwatchable due to the pixelation.  I’ve reset the TiVo box several times, checked the cables are all connected properly, but it still continues.

We don’t have any pixelation issues when watching the same TV using our Amazon Fire Stick so the issue definitely seems to be with the TiVo box.

The app shows that there are no issues with TV in our area.

Can someone help to resolve this please?

Thank you 😊

Jackie

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixelation - another one...!

Pixelation, if a reboot has failed to resolve, is nearly always the symptom of poor incoming signals.

The fix is therefore to resolve the problem with the incoming signal. That could be a box replacement, it could be repairing a fault with your external (or internal) cabling, or perhaps in the street cabinet.

The chances are, there is a fault on equipment or cabling specific to you which is why a) The status page won't show anything, but more importantly b) Virgin won't know you have this problem unless and until you report it.

Unfortunately, you will probably need to be insistent when you call to report it, that you have been rebooting to no avail. This should be the prompt to either arrange a box-swap or an engineer callout.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post Jacklia,

Sorry to see you're currently having issues with the picture on your set top box.

Can you please advise me if you've been able to try an alternative cable for the STB running into the TV? Have you also attempted to use different sockets on the TV - perhaps the same one that uses the Amazon Fire Stick to see if the issues continue?

We can also find that some customers have pixelation issues if their is little to no memory level on the STB. Can you please clear the suggested recordings on the STB as well as removing some recordings that you no longer need to see if this can clear the issue? Any programmes in the recently deleted recordings folder should also be removed

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Jacklia 

Further to David's questions, it can certainly be worthwhile testing to see whether you are having the pixelation problems on live TV, delayed TV or both. If it's on live-TV, it would tend to indicate a signals problem, but if it's only on recorded or delayed/paused programs it could be a hard drive issue.

Programs in your recently deleted folder don't count towards the disk usage so there's no need to worry about that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Jacklia
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both for your replies.  I’ve just put the hdmi cable from the TiVo into the port that was being used by the Firestick and will see if this makes any difference.  Our box is only at 57% capacity and we don’t have suggestions switched on so plenty of storage still available.

The pixelation is happening on live TV and also on recordings, some channels seem to be worse than others.

I’ll see what happens over the next couple of evenings with the cable swapped over.  I take it I need to sit in the phone queue to get an engineer if that doesn’t work?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Jacklia wrote:

The pixelation is happening on live TV and also on recordings, some channels seem to be worse than others.

I’ll see what happens over the next couple of evenings with the cable swapped over.  I take it I need to sit in the phone queue to get an engineer if that doesn’t work?

Thanks again.

I wouldn't worry too much about the free space or the suggestions, I think those are probably red herrings - and if it's happening on live TV, that rules out a disk issue.

If some channels seem worse than others, this would definitely point at a signals issue. Different channels are carried on different frequencies, this would not be at all unexpected. It may help if you can identify particular channels, that would help prove the point (and pinpoint the issue), but it won't alter what  (probably) needs to happen...

Yes, calling C/S to report faults is by far the quickest way to get TV issues escalated, but we're quite happy to lend a helping hand on here 🙂

Jacklia
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Okay, a couple of days with the cable swapped and into a different port - HD channels seem to be worst affected. Watching F1 qualifying just now on 141 4HD and is pixelating all over the place whereas 104 4 is absolutely fine....?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

C4 & C4-HD also share a frequency with ITV Wales HD, C4-AD (854) & C4+1, but you say that HD channels are worst affected. Given that HD channels use much higher bit-rates, that's not surprising.

If you can ID any other HD channels that are affected, it could help - but I really don't think it's going to alter the end result.

Virgin need to check your box & equipment.

Jacklia
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone here please help to get us an engineer or a real person to speak to? 😫

I’ve tried phoning Customer Services several times but just end up in a loop with yet another text for me to click through to the Virgin Media fault page where I’m told to do all the things I’ve tried already - cable swaps, port swaps, cleared the TiVo box, rebooted it several times but the pixelation always comes back.

Thank you in advance 😁

0 Kudos
Jacklia
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I finally managed to speak to Customer Services who sent an engineer out yesterday. He said the box was failing to connect / get signal properly at times and the hard drive was failing too. He replaced our TiVo box with a V6 at no charge. Hopefully that’s us sorted now 😊

0 Kudos