cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture freezing stuttering and pixellating

woodway
Tuning in

We have 2 boxes. One Tivo box and one V6 box. Both boxes have intermittent problems on recordings, catch up and live TV. The picture freezes, stutters and pixellates. This has been going on for weeks. It can't be the box since it happens on the 2 different boxes but tests show no fault.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @woodway, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your TV service - and any confusion around the cause of it too.

I've taken a look into this using your forum details & can see there is a known issue with TV services (ref. F008986243) which is currently estimated to be resolved by 05-MAY-2021. I'm unsure why that hasn't been communicated via the number when you called but will ensure that is fed back. 

Hopefully everything will be sorted out by then, but please pop back for an update if you continue to experience problems.

Tom 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've not said what these tests are, that show no fault?

Live TV & OnDemand are carried to your box differently, and the causes of problems therefore differs.

If you have issues with pixellation on live TV, then it could be a box issue or signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, and issues persist - then check for known faults on 0800 5610061 otherwise consider that the issue isn't as-yet reported.

If you have problems with live TV, it will also affect the resulting recordings

OnDemnd isn't carried to your box the same way, it uses the internet - I wouldn't ordinarily expect pixellation on VoD, but slow internet connectivity can cause issues with buffering. The V6 & TiVo also connect to the 'net differently.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. The tests are the one virgin runs when you click the link to say you think you have a problem when they are not aware of one. The problem feels as if it happens all the time but it is possible that we might be mistaken in thinking catch up is involved

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Righto - understood. There's a few variables now then, probably hard to advise any further..

If you're able to narrow down whether it's OnDemand or live TV that's affected, and which box it's on, that may help diagnose the cause. Otherwise VM staff should pick this thread up in a day or so and should be able to run some remote diagnostics and spot something "we" can't.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi
I've had a chat with partner and we are pretty sure now that it is live TV and recordings. He has a Tivo box and I have a V6 and it is happening on both boxes with the same frequency. They are both connected to the same outside box.

Hi @woodway,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thank you for posting.

I have located your account and at the time of checking, I have been unable to identify any issues. 

How are things your end since posting? 

Have you checked that all the cabling is secure and that the box is well ventilated?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

We actually had an engineer visit on Saturday. He said that it was only 50/50 whether he had solved the problem. That evening the issue was 10 times worse and then we lost the virgin signal twice so we  couldn't watch at all. Then yesterday there is there is a service status post for our area which describes a very similar problem (though not exactly the same) so we are waiting for that to be resolved in case it impacts on our own problem. If not we'll be getting the engineer back.

Thanks 

Thanks for the update @woodway

I do note on the Service Status there is a known issue - 

You might find that some TV channels are freezing and going blank on your Virgin TV, V6, Virgin TV 360 or TiVo® service at the moment. We are sorry and working to resolve this as quickly as possible.

The current estimated time of fix for that is 5th May 2021 09:00.

Let us know how things are after this is resolved. If you notice no difference we'll look into booking another visit for you. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the post you're seeing on service status, this one by any chance?... (this is what I'm seeing for my part of the world)

VM_Status.JPG

If so, I would suggest calling 0800 5610061 which is the local status line and tends to report more street-level issues that pixellation & signal faults tend to be.

Are you able to identify any specific channels that are particularly affected?

That was the message we were seeing. Thanks for that number. That says there are no issues in our area which seems very odd. We are continuing to monitor the situation but if it is not an area problem the engineer said it might be the wire which runs from the outside box under the carpet to the TV. I guess we all hope that the couple of things he did on Saturday would do the trick though as I said the problem was worse on Saturday evening and though we didn't see it yesterday it is intermittent. The channels it affects appear to be random but I'm going to start making a note.

Thanks