Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Parent's TiVo box possibly failed?

I think my parent's TiVo box might have possibly failed. It's stuck on "Starting up" and is making what I'd have to describe as a "buzzing noise" at regular intervals, which makes me suspect that the hard drive has died. Don't know if they've got through to Virgin yet on the faults line but is there any sort of remote diagnostics that the forum staff can do of their TiVo box?

AFAIK their two V6 boxes and their router are working fine and all the cables in their TiVo are properly in place

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Parent's TiVo box possibly failed?

The buzzing noise alone could possibly be HDD noise, and combined with "starting up"... a failed box is a pretty good bet!

You realistically have 3 choices here..

1: They can use the text message service (07533 051809) to report the problem, potentially taking a couple of days..

2: VM staff respond on here, currently taking upto a week.

3: Your parents can call their fault in.. 150 from a VM phone, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone. Depending when they call, there might be a queue but probably still the quickest.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

They managed to find a bit on the Virgin website that does some remote tests, which confirmed the box was knackered. Virgin sent out a replacement box which was a V6 and it's now up and running.

I know the recordings are gone, but is there anyway to recover the series links, or will they have been stored on the drive of the old box?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@SpacePhoenix wrote:

I know the recordings are gone, but is there anyway to recover the series links, or will they have been stored on the drive of the old box?

VM do have an online transfer facility here but it's been broken for quite a while. No harm trying it I suppose, but don't hold your breath.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos