Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Orange light and little tune

Hi

This evening my TiVo box showed a solid orange light and there was a strange sound - like a little tune or an old dial up modem coming from the box. The picture was stuck on the welcome screen and sometimes a white arrow pointing down to a box.

Tried to restart several times, unplugged everything and left for 30 mins - still no joy

Wifi works fine just no TV.

No answer from technical support (the line goes dead after about the 26th option!)

Anyone know what the problem is and if can be fixed 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Orange light and little tune

Sounds like a dead or dying HDD to me. Box may need replacing.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Got a reply from customer services at last

Correct norodg! TiVo box kaput !

Sending new one .... only problem have lost all my recordings. Apparently no way to get then off the old box even if working

This is the second time this has happened with virgin - when are these idiots going to get into the 21st century as store or back up this stuff in the cloud rather than on an HDD - even my 10yr old has learnt this.

Does anyone know how to get recordings off a tivo box?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@BichardRranson wrote:

Got a reply from customer services at last

Correct norodg! TiVo box kaput !

Sending new one .... only problem have lost all my recordings. Apparently no way to get then off the old box even if working

This is the second time this has happened with virgin - when are these idiots going to get into the 21st century as store or back up this stuff in the cloud rather than on an HDD - even my 10yr old has learnt this.

Does anyone know how to get recordings off a tivo box?

It has nothing to do with the technology, & everything to do with the people that own the programmes you are recording. Under the agreements Virgin have, you can record ONLY for the purpose of time shifting. In other words recording in order to view at a more convenient time. Copying of this recording to another box or format is not allowed. This is also the reason things like SCART sockets are no longer present on boxes. Programme owners have wanted this for years & digital has given them more control than ever.

As for cloud recording, this will happen with the next generation user interface that is now in the test phase. The good news is that you will have fluid viewing between devices & no more losing recordings should your box fail. The bad news is the the programme owners will have TOTAL control as you are no longer “physically” connected to your recordings & they can dictate when they “expire” & are deleted.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

'when are these idiots going to get into the 21st century as store or back up this stuff in the cloud rather than on an HDD....'

recordings are not meant to be for long term archiving. tv companies don't like it, film companies don't like it.

the vision of keeping episodes of corrie or game of thrones through multiple boxes over many years or recordings kept 'in the cloud' for ever is never happening. certainly not on tv platforms such as sky, bt, virgin.

argued many times on other forums.
0 Kudos