Menu
JustMe1234
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

One Of Our Tivo Boxes Has Stopped Working. Can Someone Help Please?

Hi.

We have 2 Tivo Boxes in our house, one in bedroom and one in the main living room downstairs. This is the one my mum watches a lot. 

She has ran into a problem with this Tivo Box today. She turns it on, and it's completely stuck at the the "Welcome screen." (so it's blank) It won't move on from there. We have tried resetting it from on/off switch at the back, I assume unplugging at the mains and plugging back in does the same thing. But there is still the same problem. My mum has tried to phone Virgin Media too, (think it's 150 if I'm right) but cannot get through to anyone. We have come to the conclusion that she might need a new Tivo Box, but not 100% sure.

This is rather annoying. Is there anyone who can help out here please?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: One Of Our Tivo Boxes Has Stopped Working. Can Someone Help Please?

Assuming all of the connections are finger tight, and the other TiVo in your home is still working ok, then it's either your internal cabling or the box being faulty. Cabling is certainly less likely, but you can try swapping the boxes round to be sure.

You may force the issue by unplugging at the mains for 5-10 minutes and then repeating the reboot cycle, but it's quite probable that yes, the box has died.

Forum staff on here work through posts, but it can take a few days to get a response. 150 from a VM landline, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone, and patiently wait, is more than likely the quickest way to report faults. Calling as soon after they open at 8am can sometimes get better results.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JustMe1234
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for trying with the helpful advice.

It seems you have tried to tell me what we already realize really.

All our connections are fine, as far as I'm aware. Changing our 2 boxes round feels like too much of a faff about in the possibility of accidentally breaking something else, like a cable connection or something somewhere, unknowingly. And I didn't really mention it in my first post, but my mum has her tivo box plugged into the mains in a somewhat awkward place to reach to. I can quite easily unplug/plug back in of mine, (upstairs) as the mains is in an easier to reach place.

The last time I've had to unplug mine though, was about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

The On Screen T.V. Programmes Menu had gone all weird whilst pressing the corresponding button on the hand controller, (usually the "OK" button) and it wasn't loading up correctly. A simple unplug at the mains, wait a few mins, then plug back in and wait for the telly box to do it's thing whilst loading itself back up again and hey prestooo..... I'm back in, and it's all working fine again.

But the issue with the t.v./tivo box "downstairs" that my mum watches is different. It's just constantly stuck at the welcome screen as I said, and won't continue from there. I haven't had this problem with the "upstairs" t.v. box as yet. (fingers crossed it doesn't happen at all for a good while)

But we do think that unplugging and plugging back in at the mains will just give the same result as switching off/on at the little switch on the back of the t.v. box. (which we have already tried with no luck at all)

All we have done for now, is to try to setup some programmes for my mum to watch on her laptop, since waiting for any kind of a response from an engineer (or forum staff) appears to be completely hopeless right now. ☹️ ☹️

We haven't tried the 0345 number that you mentioned, though I'm a quite doubtful that it will get us through to an ACTUAL.... person to talk to. All these automatic messages from companies that send you round in stupid circle are enough to send you round the flippin bend, and it's absolutely annoying as hell!☹️

We might give this 0345 number a call anyway, and see where it leads us.

Thank you for trying to help at least.🙂

0 Kudos
JustMe1234
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just replying back to say that we managed to get an engineer to our house today, (for my mum) and he has replaced the broken tivo box with a new one.

There is an issue with the i player service, but that's a minor thing for now which can be fixed at some point.

My mum can now watch the regular channels again (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, digital channels e.t.c) that she couldn't do yesterday.

All is mostly fine now, gladly. So it's all good again now, thanks to the helpful engineer guy for fixing up with a new t.v. box. 🙂

0 Kudos