cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On demand service keeps stalling through TiVo box

Maxtuneless
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

I know this a familiar problem for people using TiVo box for on demand TV programming as I’ve looked at other posts about this same problem on the forum. My TiVo box keeps dropping the signal when watching on demand programs. I’ve done all the rebooting suggested on the fault finding pages and checked all connections etc. I have the flashing green light coming up on the box under the heart icon (second light on the lhs) which other forum posts say is a fault with the modem in the TiVo box. So this isn’t going to get better by itself. My question is how do I get Virgin Media to come and check over my hardware rather than doing remote fixes over the network? Anyone else out there who’s been there and done that and got a result, please let me know what to do next. Thanks, Maxtuneless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the green heartbeat light is flashing, that is indeed the network connection dropping and is a fault. If it happens once or twice, then potentially a remote reattach could be a fix - if it's happening repeatedly, then that's out of the window and it needs attending to.

@Maxtuneless wrote:

My question is how do I get Virgin Media to come and check over my hardware rather than doing remote fixes over the network?

Exactly the same as with any fault - you can either call in or wait on here.

Calling in - 150 (from a VM phone) or 0345 4541111 (from any other phone ) - choose the "I have a fault" options but I'd recommend being specific with the agent who you speak to and explicitly say "My online light is flashing".

Wait here - you've described the symptoms perfectly, so the staff turnaround is currently around 2ish days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the green heartbeat light is flashing, that is indeed the network connection dropping and is a fault. If it happens once or twice, then potentially a remote reattach could be a fix - if it's happening repeatedly, then that's out of the window and it needs attending to.

@Maxtuneless wrote:

My question is how do I get Virgin Media to come and check over my hardware rather than doing remote fixes over the network?

Exactly the same as with any fault - you can either call in or wait on here.

Calling in - 150 (from a VM phone) or 0345 4541111 (from any other phone ) - choose the "I have a fault" options but I'd recommend being specific with the agent who you speak to and explicitly say "My online light is flashing".

Wait here - you've described the symptoms perfectly, so the staff turnaround is currently around 2ish days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you japitts

I'll wait and see what VM have to say in coming days.  I know that other people with the TiVo box have had similar problems judging by other comments I've read recently on the forum.  The old hardware isn't keeping up with the changes to streaming services it seems, but the shame is that subscription prices are always showing forward progression.  

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo is an old box, there's no getting away from that. And it's not going to get any better.

For anyone that has VM broadband, the V6 box runs the same software but on a much newer, more capable box. It has more recording tuners, more streaming apps and is a lot quicker in general operation.

Anytime you are outside your minimum contractual term and renegotiating your package deal for the next 18months, that's an ideal time to ask for a box-swap from TiVo > V6 into the bargain.

You could also ask for the same if the tech decides to replace your box, and you might just get lucky.

Thanks again japitts,

Yes the box is old and probably past it when it comes to on demand and catch up services. I’ve tried it again and the same thing happens as before, in next to no time the program stalls, the green heart light starts flashing away and up comes the error messages C130 or C133 (had both). So the remote fixes didn’t do anything to make the box better. 
Just waiting to see if someone from VM is going to respond to this thread?  
Looking forward to some sort of contact from the supplier. Cheers!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Maxtuneless wrote:

Just waiting to see if someone from VM is going to respond to this thread?

They will do so - but work through posts in order, and by adding further replies today you'll have potentially gone to the back of the queue.

Leave this post alone and don't add any further responses if you want to get the quickest answer.

And for info, the staff team won't be able to deal with your issue from a package change angle, that can only be done by phone. A faults swapout and/or tech visit, they should certainly be able to arrange.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Maxtuneless, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your TiVo box - we understand the frustration these things will cause.

I've taken a look using your forum info and can see there are some issues with the box that could use thee attention of an engineer - we can get that arranged for you via PM, but if you would prefer an upgrade - have you checked to see if you can get one via your online account? (virg.in/myVM) I understand that sometimes the option to upgrade for free can found there.

If not just get back to me via PM and we'll do all we can to help from there.

Tom 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to me @Maxtuneless. I've booked an engineer visit, and you will find confirmation of the appointment via your online account (virg.in/myVM) you can also reschedule from there if needed as well.

Please keep us updated with how that goes, or let us know if there's anything else we can help with. 

Tom

Hi Tom,

Just letting you know that the issue with my TiVo box was sorted today with a free upgrade to a V6 box. Thanks for helping me out to get this result. 
All best,

Max