Menu
monaco77
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

On demand movies never work but apps do

For the past several months, every time we purchase a rental on Virgin movies on demand, the movie starts buffering after 10 minutes or so.  It is painfully slow and makes it impossible for us to watch the movie.

It can't be an internet issue as on the same day, if trying to view the movie via an app (yesterday we found it on Amazon Prime) on that same TV and going through the apps menu on Virgin media, we have no issue.  

We have lost lots of money for rentals we couldn't see and this is a pain.  Can someone help? Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: On demand movies never work but apps do

Can you watch CatchUp TV from the 5 main channels ok?

BBC programs use the iPlayer app, but ITV, C4 & C5 use the exact same On Demand method as PPV movies.

Do you have a TiVo box or a V6? And if a V6, how is it connected to your home hub?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
monaco77
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for responding.  We have the same issue with Catchup TV.  It's a V6 which is connected to the hub via wifi.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah, so the issue is that your WiFi connection may be dropping out then. Ethernet is recommended if at all possible to connect, and I've not much experience of using the V6 over WiFi, but....

If you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, does the box show (top-right) as connected? What's the signal strength reported as?

In the top-left, is the box connecting reliably every 6 or so hours?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
monaco77
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes but the issue is that the hub is in the office on the first floor and the TV in the living-room on the ground floor so not easy to run an ethernet cable from one to the other.  We've always connected over wifi and it used to work without a glitch.  Come to think of it, it started to be a problem when we switched the Tivo box for the V6.

Yes, the wifi is connected, it does try regularly (left side) but the signal is indeed poor at 15%.

I don't understand why apps like Netflix or Amazon Prime who stream their content over wifi on that TV would work well but not Virgin's own services?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The TiVo has its connection inbuilt & hard-wired, whereas the V6 relies on the Home-hub.

Is your V6 connected using the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi band? The 5Ghz is much better for streaming, but with signal strength that low, I'd suggest at least experimenting with the 2.4Ghz band.

I don't use the Hub in router mode (I have my own router), so am not best placed to advise how to do this.

0 Kudos
monaco77
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah ok so basically we won't be able to fix our problem.  I don't know where to go to check between the 5ghz vs 2.5.  Any idea?

0 Kudos