Menu
JohnJ2
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

On demand and catchup not working

We recently upgraded to a new Tivo 6 box that was posted to us and have a number issues with it. I have contacted Tech support a number of times but found them completely hopeless! The first call the person couldn't resolve the issues and said it needed to be passed to the next level and would be resolved within the next 48 hours, and to phone back if it wasn't. Phoned back after three days, as it wasn't resolved, and the next tech support person was starting from scratch, with no history of the previous call, wanted to go through the same script! I gave up at that point as it was obviously a complete waste of time!

Issues:

1. On demand and catchup not working, error v210,

2. Help app not working. I need to use the help app to program the TiVo remote to adjust the tv volume and on/off

3. We have another TiVo box in another room and I want to be able to play recordings from that box. The new TiVo can see the other box but I am unable to view anything on it as it errors saying that the new box isn't registered.

Everything works fine on the original TiVo

On the new TiVo all the tv channels are available. It is hard wired to the virgin hub and has a link light. Network diags on the new TiVo say all is ok and it has the correct IP configuration

Any help appreciated

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: On demand and catchup not working

Many Vxxx error codes are connectivity related, and your description sounds like this could also be the root of your issues, so...

All V6 boxes need 2 separate connections.

White co-ax cable carries the live TV channels.

An internet connection via your homehub, carries the TV guide updates, multibox streaming, OnDemand etc. This can be via an Ethernet cable from the V6 to your homehub, or a suitably reliable WiFi connection. How are yours connected.

On both boxes, check under Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, in the top-right the internet connection status is shown, and (if appropriate) the WiFi signal strength. What is reported?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JohnJ2
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re network connectivity, Please refer to the last paragraph of my original post.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You've mentioned a "link light" on your V6, what do you mean by this?

The V6 only has indicators of connectivity when the internet connection has failed for whatever reason. And possibly when you have a WiFi connection, I can't recall off-hand.

All you should have is the white "on" LED on the right.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
JohnJ2
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The link light I was referring to is on the Virgin router that I have connected the ethernet cable from the TiVo. It is showing network activity, i.e. flickering green light.

The light on the TiVo is white

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm still not convined on your V6's internet connection.

An easy way to prove this a little further.. follow Home > Help & Settings > Help > (along the top-bar) > TV Speed test

I'm not sure how exactly this relates to a streaming video, but I'd imagine the same ports etc are being used.

0 Kudos
JohnJ2
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I eventually persuaded tech support to send an engineer and problem solved! He upgraded the firmware on the TiVo box and gave us a new remote control that was nothing like the original and said it's a common problem.

Why don't Tech support know this as it would have saved hours of all our time!!

cheers

0 Kudos