Menu
MrsWookiiee
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Old equipment... how do I upgrade?

I have multi room - a V6 downstairs and a Tivo upstairs and been a customer since the NTL days (remember them?!). The Tivo was originally my main box and must be around ten years old. It’s getting really slow, and virtually unusable for apps like the iPlayer or Netflix. How do I go about getting a new box without having to upgrade my contract (again!)? Isn’t the equipment part of the “rental” service and upgraded every now and then?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old equipment... how do I upgrade?

Hello

Best people to speak to are CS as the replacement box will come with charges if you want to upgrade from a Tivo to a V6.

Due to the current situation there is a text message only service is available via: 07533051809 Just send a text with the issue you are facing and someone will get back to you as soon as they can. Please bear in mind at this time this service does also have a high load and may take quite some time getting back to you. You can also call in on 150 or 0345 454 1111 best times to call are first thing in the morning, use the option "Thinking of leaving", but again wait times my be long.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425...

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You are correct to assume your boxes are "rented" from VM, but for as long as they remain serviceable and active, then there is no reason for VM to proactively swap them at an arbitrary point in time.

From time-to-time VM will have swapout offers, but you're probably best off calling VM and asking nicely - you would most likely have to combine it with a renegotation of your package onto a current bundle deal and be prepared to re-contract for 12/18months.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MrsWookiiee
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the replies... I had a feeling any sort of upgrade would mean renegotiating my contract. I’ll try the message service and see what I can find out. 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old equipment... hHow do I upgrade?

Hi MrsWookiiee,

Regrading (or renegotiating your package) shouldn't be too daunting. Looking on the bright side, you may get a new V6 set top box to replace the older Tivo, AND save money, especially if you are out of contract. 

The messaging service may take a few days to get any replies, so it's best if you use the phone method. It's least busy first thing on a morning 8am. Speak to regrades and if you aren't happy with any deal offered then ask to speak to retentions (thinking of leaving us) 😉

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks