Menu
djr_uk
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Old Tivo replacement?

Hi all,

This isnt for me but a friend but due to the great help i get on here i thought i'd get some advice! My friend still has the original TiVo box from when he moved into his appartment about 10 years ago and is encountering some problems. My friend has some issues with speaking on the phone/non visual disabilities which means he gets nervous getting in touch with virgin media directly.

Around a year ago his internet connection started being tempermental and since he works from home it was quite a nightmare but i was able to get around to his flat when the lockdown eased and got him to pass security and then spoke to someone who got him the new superhub 3.

Now with his issues with his old tivo box the box keeps rebooting itself and losing connection to netflix etc and the EPG. It is also very, very slow. 

Now that he has a superhub 3 he can now get a tivo v6 . I've got the following questions:

1) Will virgin media be replacing the old tivo automatically?

2) Is there a fee for getting the tivo v6 box sent out? I believe it was originally £50? I'd be happy to pay this for him

3) With the superhub 3 I believe it now works with the tivo v6 so if I paid for it and then went around his flat one day I could install it fairly easily. Its his 50th birthday this year so i would like to treat him! 

4) would there be a way for him to give permission online etc or would i need to get him to call, pass security and then pass the phone to me in order to do this order? I'd need to arrange to go around to his and take the phone off him after he's passed security and then arrange to go to his on delivery day etc.

Any advice will be appreciated!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Old Tivo replacement?

@djr_uk wrote:

Now that he has a superhub 3 he can now get a tivo v6 . I've got the following questions:

1) Will virgin media be replacing the old tivo automatically?

There isn't any automatic or blanket swapout programme, and customers on here with faulty TiVo's are having them replaced like-for-like with TiVo's, not V6's. If your friend's TiVo has a fault, which it sounds like it does, then there shouldn't be any problem getting it replaced - but the chances of this being a V6 are, IMO, slim.

@djr_uk wrote:

2) Is there a fee for getting the tivo v6 box sent out? I believe it was originally £50? I'd be happy to pay this for him

The most reliable way of swapping a TiVo for a V6 is as part of a package renegotiation/re-contract process. In other words - start a new package deal with an 18month contract and make sure a box-swap is part of the agreement. As to what the cost might be, that's down to the individual account and what the C/S or retentions agent offers you.

@djr_uk wrote:

3) With the superhub 3 I believe it now works with the tivo v6 so if I paid for it and then went around his flat one day I could install it fairly easily. Its his 50th birthday this year so i would like to treat him! 

The SH3 has worked with the V6 for many years.

@djr_uk wrote:

4) would there be a way for him to give permission online etc or would i need to get him to call, pass security and then pass the phone to me in order to do this order? I'd need to arrange to go around to his and take the phone off him after he's passed security and then arrange to go to his on delivery day etc.

Ultimately it's the account holder that VM will want to speak to, but your suggestion of your friend passing security and then handing you the phone is as good as anything.

Authorised third parties can arrange fault reporting, but package renegotiations need to be done by the account holder due to the re-contracting element.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
djr_uk
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Sorry about the misunderstanding. He previously had the superhub 2 which i know doesnt work with the v6 tivo. So now he has the superhub 3 he now has the potential to get the v6.

Thanks for the info about the replacement for the old tivo still occuring. i would have thought the old tivos wouldnt be replaced now because its so much slower compared to the v6 and now the original box is 10+ years.

I'll see if i can convince my friend to order the v6 as i know he really wants it as i've told him about it so much!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK, the SH2 works perfectly well with the V6. There's never been any restriction as best I'm aware.

The TiVo has never needed a SH, it has the modem inbuilt. No arguments about the V6 being a "night & day" improvement ove the TiVo, though.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos