Menu
Donna35
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Old Tivo on last legs

Good afternoon,

My Tivo box is over 10 years old - it has been struggling to play shows I've rewound or recorded without freezing and stuttering which has got progressively worse over the last year. I was finally going to address this with Virgin Media but Covid hit the Country and so there were more important things to worry about. 

This morning, it rebooted itself three times at the most inopportune of moments (during the PMs announcement - don't get me started on that one!). 

Due to its age, I'm assuming not much can be done with my current box and a new one will need to be issued. However, I am out of contract. If Virgin issue a new box, will they tie me to a new contract?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Donna 🙂

0 Kudos
Donna35
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old Tivo on last legs

And...just as I pressed 'Enter' on this post my box has crashed and rebooted itself again!
0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Donna35,

You can kill two birds with one stone here.

Since you are out of contract you will probably get a better deal by calling in and renegotiating your contract. You can also ask for a shiny new V6 box at the same time (providing you also have Virgin broadband)

Worth a try?

You could try the text messaging service.

Just send  a text with a description of regrade  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

You can also call  150 from your Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, but best to call at 8am to avoid call queues.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Donna35
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Dave, appreciate your reply.

I've spent the majority of my 10 years with Virgin out of Contract. In the few times I have changed my package and ended up back in contract they have never reviewed/upgraded my equipment. And now my old Tivo box is failing.... As I'm typing this reply it has crashed and is rebooting again!

I would rather not be tied to another contract at this time. But, clearly I need another box. Will they replace the box with new without having to renew the contract? I may be out of contract but I am still a paying customer. 

Many thanks

Donna 🙂

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Donna,

I understand not wanting to be tied into a new contract, and that can be arranged, it's just me thinking it would be better to save a few pounds as well.

You can contact TV faults and ask them to do a box swap.

Or you can wait here and see if one of the Forum Staff  picks up this thread and can swap it over for a new TIVO, the same as you currently have.

You could try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of faulty TIVO box  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

You can also call  150 from your Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, (listen for TV Faults) but best to call at 8am to avoid call queues.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali