Menu
murof
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Noisy Box

Hi

My Tivo box is playing where for long periods it makes a loud electrical buzzing sound, similar to a faulty fan.

Can I please get my box replaced? I'm worried it may overheat, and also its can get very annoying try to watch something when it suddenly starts in the middle of a program.

I've tried turning the box off but that didn't make a difference.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy Box

Hello murof,

Sorry to hear about your noisey TiVo box. Can I ask where the buzzing is from? I've checked your details and the hard drive status looks fine and temperature is also but want a clearer idea of the noise it's making. Does it stop making the noise when you turn the box off and if not, does it stop eventually? Please also make sure that the box is well ventilated and dust free. 

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
murof
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa thanks for your response.

The sound does stops after turning off the box and mostly seems to come on when something is being watched (at least that is the time when it is noticed) and is intermittent.  So I can start watching a program, 5 minutes into it the noise might start, then it can go off for about 15 mins, then it might come back 20 mins later, all without turning it off and on.  I am certain it is not the hard drive, I have been working with hard drives day-in-day-out for 25 years and know pretty much all the noises that they can make unless its attached to something that has come very loose, plus I also have two tivo boxes and for the sake of comparison can tell when the hard drive is being used or not, for example you can hear the hard drive stop/start even when the this buzzing noise is on.

I can confirm the are is very well ventilated, but I can't say for sure where the noise is coming from, maybe slightly more towards the right hand side as you look directly at the front

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello murof

I would hazard a guess its a faulty fan, which in turn can cause box to over heat, this may also affect the viewing as well

What i will do is arrange for an engineer to pop out and take a look 

I will need to send you a private message to pass security first 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello murof

Glad to hear its all been sorted now for you 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
murof
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have posted this as a question after my box had been replaced. Can you please get this to someone who can help?
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Restoring-Series-Links/td-p/4327887
0 Kudos