Menu
TracyG1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No on-demand and picture breaking up

We have had constant problems with our TV for the last few months and are now very unhappy with Virgin Media.

Picture breaking up on both live tv and recorded programmes, catch-up and other on-demand services (i.e Netflix) only working for 10 minutes!! We are constantly rebooting/resetting the box but it doesn't improve.

An engineer called just before Christmas .. said it was probably the HDMI cable! but changed the box as well. This worked for about a week

Second engineer came two weeks ago - this chap spent more time with us - he checked the cable line to the street box but said it was clear and fitted a new connection to the wall. Asked me to put on-demand on whilst he waited in the van and 10 minutes later it had frozen so he changed the tivo box.(so thats two new boxes and a new hdmi cable in six weeks),Said he couldn't wait until it was set up fully but he would ring me later in the afternoon to check it was working. He didn't ring back and on-demand still wasn't working!!

Tried to ring customer services but the number just cut off straight away because they were too busy - made a complaint on-line to which I've had not yet had a response.

Contacted the virgin team via twitter and was told to check the service status - which, did show that there was a problem in my area - so I've been waiting to see if this solved my issue. This has been going on for two weeks and then yesterday (11.2.21) it was showing no fault......Yipee I thought, but guess what....our picture is as bad as it's ever been and still problems with on-Demand (error code C130)

I'm obviously not an engineer, but it seems quite clear to me that the problem cannot be with the actual tivo box (unless the ones you are giving me are not new) but with the signal somewhere along the line?

Watching tv is supposed to be a little luxury which provides entertainment/information, but there is no enjoyment and a great deal of frustration in trying to watch a screen that constantly breaks up or have a programme stop every 10 mins or so.

I accept that I may need to reboot the equipment every now and then but NOT THREE times during a 45 minutes programme.

We are paying a lot of money each month to Virgin and not getting very much in return - we currently have to watch Netflix through a laptop (using wifi which thankfully is not virgin media) and might as well just have Freeview instead of the all singing all dancing package that you claim to be able to deliver.

I have been a customer for around 23-24 years (since the Telewest days) and had I not renewed my contract with you in July last year I would be cancelling on the spot - but I know you will charge me the earth if I try to leave (which doesn't seem right when I can't access even basic tv services without interuption)!! - but I will certainly be looking to move to another provider as soon as I can.....None of my family and friends have Virgin TV, and neither do they have these issues. 😡

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: No on-demand and picture breaking up

I've not read every detail of your post so may have missed some small details (apologies if so), however...

Firstly can you confirm you're using a TiVo and not a V6 (check here if you're not sure) - it sounds like you are (and you've referenced your home broadband being non-VM) but let's make sure.

Pixellation on live TV can have a few possible causes, but signal issues are certainly the most common. Faults with your box account for many of the remainder.

OnDemand is carried over your box's internet connection, so is unaffected by this. Issues with internet speed would tend to cause buffering/stuttering or "dropped" programmes rather than pixellation. Do you ever see any flashing green lights on the front-left of your TiVo?

If picture problems are apparent on both TV & streamed content, this might suggest video output/input problems between your TV & box.

@TracyG1 wrote:

Second engineer came two weeks ago - this chap spent more time with us - he checked the cable line to the street box but said it was clear and fitted a new connection to the wall. Asked me to put on-demand on whilst he waited in the van and 10 minutes later it had frozen so he changed the tivo box.(so thats two new boxes and a new hdmi cable in six weeks),Said he couldn't wait until it was set up fully but he would ring me later in the afternoon to check it was working. He didn't ring back and on-demand still wasn't working!!😡

Sounds like he's covered some of the obvious bits that could cause this - it's unfortunate this couldn't complete, but have you followed this up with VM directly?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TracyG1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

Thank you for your reply

Yes it is a tivo box - we have a tv only package.

I've just rebooted again and the picture is no better

I have to be honest and say I've never noticed whether the green lights were flashing but will take note

I tried calling VM directly but couldn't get through - will be trying again over the weekend - but we really are at the end of our tether with this tv "service"

0 Kudos
TracyG1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

With regards to your question regarding the lights... I've just tried Netflix again (which lasted for a record 30seconds)!! and yes the green lights were flashing.

I'm currently just resetting the tivo box because the picture is becoming unwatchable

Do you think all the faults can be rectified remotely or are we going to need another engineer visit?

Thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the flashing green light is the second-from-left on the front-left of your TiVo, that's your "online light"

If it's flashing, it means the box's internal 'net connection is offline. So any streaming, OnDemand & TV Guide updates will all fail.

You're likely to need an engineer visit for this. A one-off failure could be rectified remotely. Repeat failures suggest the underlying fault that's causing this, hasn't gone away.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks