Menu
Macfadyan
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No Sound from tivo

Hi. My TiVo has stopped producing sound. The picture is fine. I've checked all hdmi etc. My home sound system is working fine.

Any thoughts?

Also, is it now impossible to talk to a human being on the phone about repairs. The customer service sucks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Sound from tivo

Assuming you've checked the obvious such as the mute button being on (first rule of support forums - if it's not been specifically said, don't assume)

Is this on live TV? OnDemand? Streaming? Does swapping between them make any difference? And again, you've not mentioned so I'll ask... have you tried restarting the box?

Are you using the optical output for your AV system?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Macfadyan
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. It's connected to the AV by hdmi. It's happening on all TiVo services. It's incredibly frustrating. I checked the Dolby settings. Tried both normal and pcm. No change.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You've not mentioned a restart so that's something else to try. Home > Help & Settings > Clear or restart.

Otherwise, in no particular order... Take the HDMI out of your AV amp and connect to the TV directly. Any change?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Macfadyan
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I like this. It's methodical.

Ok. Done both those suggestions and still no luck

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's all the obvious things then. If the AV, HDMI or TV was causing this, then taking it out of the equation should identify it.

If the TiVo is causing it, a reboot should solve that.

If neither apply, then it points the finger at a possible box fault. Given that a box replacement will lose all your recordings anyway, you can try working through the graduated levels of reset under Home > help & Settings > Clear or restart.

Each level of reset has on-screen guidance as to what will be lost - otherwise you can wait for forum staff to pick this post up which may take a day or so. I can't imagine their remote diagnostics would pick up anything that a bit of "investigative troubleshooting" won't - but you never know.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi what works for me is, I'm connected with HDMI from virgin box to TV then digital optical from amp direct to TV it takes a different route but works perfectly. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Macfadyan,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to the community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with the sound from your TiVo box. I can see that you've gone through some basic checks and diagnostics with @japitts - checking the connections is always a good starting point, so it's good that we've got them boxed off already.

Have you been able to perform a reboot of the box yet? You can find more information on how to do this here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Macfadyan
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zach. Yes, I've gone through all the basics, wiring, swapping leads around, cold reboot etc. Still only picture but no sound. I think I need to order a new box but unfortunately it's now impossible to talk to another human on the phone

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Macfadyan

Sorry to hear this is still happening 
I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos