Menu
TonyM19
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New TiVo box questions

I have an old Samsung C7100 TiVo box that has stopped working suddenly this morning.  There is no power to the box.  I have tried all the usual stuff (different sockets, different 12V 3A supply etc) and I am pretty sure it’s come to the end of its time.  There are some valid reasons why I haven’t upgraded the box.

Two engineers over the past 3 years have been unable to upgrade me to the V6 box.  The router (Hub 3.0) is in a different room. It’s a dormer bungalow but they’re on the same floor about 8m away and separated by stud walls.  They were unable to get a strong enough Wi-Fi signal from the router.  I do have a Wi-Fi repeater that is connected to the router via a Cat5 cable, so I do get a decent Wi-Fi signal throughout the house.  They would only attempt to connect to the Wi-Fi signal from the router though.

They wanted to move the router and set it up behind the TV.  I have CAT5 cables running from the old router to all the different bedrooms in the house and in particular to my office space which is upstairs’.  I do not want to have to re-run the cable.  It has been in place for a long time and parts of it are behind fitted wardrobes etc. 

My questions are:

If I set up the V6 box myself, is there any reason why I couldn’t connect to the Wi-Fi repeater Wi-Fi signal?  Is there something built in that needs a Virgin router signal?

If I run a Cat5 cable from the existing router to the back of the TV should that be enough to enable the V6 to work?  It means taking up some laminate floor in the room where  the router is and going underneath the floor to run the cables.  A real pain, so I want to make sure it’s a starter before I try it.

Obviously connecting to the Wi-Fi repeater is favourite.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New TiVo box questions

you can connect to the repeater.
The v6 will also need a coax cable.

You can also use powerline adapters for the network connection if the wifi is not good enough

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TonyM19
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just to add, that I have tried Powerline adaptors to get a signal to the same area and they haven't been a success. The house has hadd a couple of extensions and I'm assuming that all the electrics are not on the same ring
0 Kudos
TonyM19
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have a coax cable in place for the V6.

I still have an unconnected V6 box in my house from one of the engineers attempts to connect. Do Virgin need to do something at thier end for me to try to set it up to my repeater? Don't want to waste a morning trying to connect everything to find out that something needs to be paired up etc
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No the wifi is all done locally nothing VM need to do to allow a v6 to connect to wireless

But the box will need to be active and on your acocunt

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
TonyM19
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have ordered a 15m ethernet cable. Going to call Virgin to make sure the V6 is linked to my account and give it a shot. I'll run it above the floor first and then venture under the floor if it works. 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If the V6 was a supposed replacement for your TiVo and was never installed, it won’t be associated with your account.

0 Kudos
TonyM19
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

• Another thought. My Dad has an old Samsung box and an additional V6 box. He 'lives' in the room with the additional box. If I borrow his Samsung box until I can resolve this, will that stop his V6 working as it's not the main one?
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

His V6 will be OK but you can’t use his TiVo as it’s associated with his account, not yours.

0 Kudos
TonyM19
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Didn't realise that. So picking a used Samsung box up from eBay isn't an option either?

0 Kudos