Menu
JAGrant
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New TV Box

Dear VM

Please could we have a new TV box?

Ours, which to my knowledge is from 2013, is glitching on things like Netflix, is slow and sometimes does not boot without being restarted. It also does not have apps like Amazon Prime Movies.

Many thanks, 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New TV Box

Firstly, it sounds like you have a TiVo, given your reference to lack of Prime Video. You can view the different boxes here 

If you want to use Prime, then you're most likely looking at swapping to a V6 which runs the same software but on a much newer box. Firstly, do you have VM broadband? That's a requirement for the V6, as it doesn't have an inbuilt 'net connection and needs to use your homehub.

If you do, your best bet is to have an overall review of your VM package with a view to including a box-swap as part of a new 18month contract. Bring up your past bills to see what TV bundle you currently have, and then compare with build a bundle as to what the nearest current equivalent is. For various reasons at the moment, it's not a racing certainty that VM will necessarily offer you a straight swap from TiVo > V6 without good reason. Being willing to re-contract for 18months might just help your cause. I'm not saying they won't, but it's a possibility.

Alternatively, there may be a reason why your TiVo is having problems with some streaming services, like the onboard 'net connection being faulty. When you have problems with these apps (or indeed any OnDemand) do you have any flashing green lights on the front-left of your box? The LED with a painted heart symbol is the online indicator and if that flashes, your box has a fault.

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by not booting without being restarted? It may just be that your box has a fault, and that's the best route to take with VM. Virgin staff do respond on these boards, but it's primarily a peer-peer forum so their responses may take a day or so. Therefore let's check the "lie of the land" first, so they can arrive here with some of the basics already covered.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JAGrant
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, there must be a fault with the box. I have confirmed this by streaming Netflix to the TV from another device with no issues. I think we have had our box since 2013, so the problem might just be aged equipment.

We are not looking to upgrade the TV package as we are already paying almost £70 a month. Possibly we need a review of our package (broadband, phone and TV), but we would not be looking to pay even more. However, working equipment would be a good start.

I understand this is a forum but previously have had good customer service on here (unlike the telephone operatives).

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@JAGrant wrote:

Yes, there must be a fault with the box. I have confirmed this by streaming Netflix to the TV from another device with no issues. I think we have had our box since 2013, so the problem might just be aged equipment.

Not necessarily. When you were streaming using your TiVo, was the online/heartbeat light flashing or solidly on? That's one of the more definitive tests of whether a TiVo has a faulty 'net connection.

@JAGrant wrote:

We are not looking to upgrade the TV package as we are already paying almost £70 a month. Possibly we need a review of our package (broadband, phone and TV), but we would not be looking to pay even more. However, working equipment would be a good start.

Sounds like you need to review your package & bundle from the ground up. £70 doesn't really mean much as a comparison without knowing what bundle combination you currently have.

Check the channel guide at the bottom here to get a feel for which current TV package best suits you - the basic tier is now "mixit", and you can add personal-picks, or choose the top-tier "maxit" with all personal picks included.

Then have a play with build my bundle to get an idea of standard pricing for your chosen combinations. Then call VM (via the 150 route) and target a new bundle deal with a small discount on the standard pricing, in exchange for a new 18month contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @JAGrant

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear you have been having some issues with your TV box. 

I have taken a look at your account and can see some of the input levels are incorrect which may be causing this. 

There are also some errors on the hub with an uptime of 34 days and the downstream power levels are out of specification. 

Before I book an engineer for you, can I ask you to perform a pin hole reset and once done let me know so I can check the stats again?

Thank you and speak soon 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JAGrant
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dear Ayisha

Thank you for your reply.

I have conducted the reset of the hub as you requested. I am not sure what you mean about input levels and downstream power levels. There are three inputs/outputs to the TV box - the power cord, the fibre-optic cable that leads to the broadband hub, and a single HDMI cable which was recently replaced.

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for doing that for me @JAGrant

I have had another peek at the account and the stats are not as they should be.

Will pop you a PM now so we can verify your address and then book an engineer out so they can check things over. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming your address via PM @JAGrant

I have now booked an appointment for you. If this is not suitable, feel free to re-schedule via your online account.

Let us know how the visit goes. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

0 Kudos