Menu
FateTrip
Dialled in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Never able to watch Catch up or On Demand -- Box super slow

So for over a year now i've had nothing but issues with the old Tivo box.

The box would go "offline" (the online light flashes on the box) which doesn't allow me to watch Catch up or On Demand. It does this multiple times a day, sometimes for upwards of 3-4 hours at a time, and just mere minutes other times.

The box itself is incredibly slow, taking upwards of a minute just to load up the home screen so you can navigate the box.

I rarely watch TV thesedays, On Demand is mainly the only thing I watch thesedays (that or Netflix/Prime Video/Disney+) but i'm unable to do that. Take yesterday as an example: I was watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix and the box went offline which caused the movie to stop and show the Unavailable message. It went off for just 2 minutes. I went back to watching the movie, but less than 30 seconds later it went off again, this time for over 40 minutes.

It is completely unwatchable on the box. I've requested to have a new box (V6), I already have 2 replacing the old V and V+ boxes I had but i've been denied this request unless i'm willing to pay a £20 (i think it was) fee to have the pleasure of doing so... why should I be charged when it's your equiptment at fault?

I just want to watch Catch up and On Demand peacefully when I want without interruptions but that is completely out of question on this box.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Never able to watch Catch up or On Demand -- Box super slow

@FateTrip wrote:

So for over a year now i've had nothing but issues with the old Tivo box.

The box would go "offline" (the online light flashes on the box) which doesn't allow me to watch Catch up or On Demand. It does this multiple times a day, sometimes for upwards of 3-4 hours at a time, and just mere minutes other times..

If the online light is flashing, your box is faulty. Or there's an area fault, but (all things considered) that's less likely. Having an engineer visit or box replacement, should not be a problem.

@FateTrip wrote:

The box itself is incredibly slow, taking upwards of a minute just to load up the home screen so you can navigate the box.

No great surprise with an ageing TiVo.

@FateTrip wrote:

I rarely watch TV thesedays, On Demand is mainly the only thing I watch thesedays (that or Netflix/Prime Video/Disney+) but i'm unable to do that. Take yesterday as an example: I was watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix and the box went offline which caused the movie to stop and show the Unavailable message. It went off for just 2 minutes. I went back to watching the movie, but less than 30 seconds later it went off again, this time for over 40 minutes.

The TiVo doesn't have Prime or Disney, and the V6 doesn't currently have D+, so these issues don't have anything to do with your TiVo box. How are you watching these apps?

@FateTrip wrote:

It is completely unwatchable on the box. I've requested to have a new box (V6), I already have 2 replacing the old V and V+ boxes I had but i've been denied this request unless i'm willing to pay a £20 (i think it was) fee to have the pleasure of doing so... why should I be charged when it's your equiptment at fault?

If the TiVo is at fault, then VM will replace it with a TiVo, that should not be a problem. You're asking for an equipment upgrade/swapout, which is different from a fault-replacement, and although this will often be done at low or no cost, VM are quite within their rights to charge for box-swaps from TiVo to V6. You've not said whether you're in a TV-contractual minimum term or not, but that may well also impact VM's thinking.

£20 for a TiVo > V6 swap sounds like an excellent deal to me, all things considered.

Are you within a TV contractual minimum term, or are you out-of-contract?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos